chapter 24

We had dinner on way home. We called Shweta and cleared the issue. Gosh, she seemed nervous. We all talked, laughed. It's been so long that we are together, life feels good again.

Rajan straight up went to sleep as we reached home and Jay went to drop the rental car to the center.

I checked the phone and there were no texts from Piku. I called her and she ignored. I am getting worried of her.

Aron texted

Are you okay?

I text him back.

Yes.

He called me.

"Hi."

"Hi."

"You sure, you're fine?"

"Yes. What made you think I am not?"

"I met your friend at library and she withdrawal the book club membership. I asked her why she is doing that, she just ignored me and left."

"WHAT?"

"I am sorry that was loud. She was there? Really? She is ignoring me all day today. I don't know what is wrong with her."

"I should've informed you sooner, I am sorry."

"No, it's fine. Thank you for informing me now. I need to go find her now. I call you later."

"Wait... wait..."

"Yeah?"

"I will come along."

"No, it's okay."

"I insist. Please?"

"Okay."

"I'll be at your house in ten minutes."

"See you."

I hang up the phone and tried calling her over and over. She isn't picking up.

I texted Jay that i am going at Piku's house right now. I'll be home late.

Aron dropped me at her house. I told him to hide away. Piku's parents can never see there is a boy with their daughter's friend at this night.

I knocked the door and her mother opened the door. she was asleep. Damn it.

"Hello aunty. Piku is here?"

"where else she would be? She's sleeping in her room. Why are you here?"

"I am so sorry aunty to disturb you. She asked me to drop some notes and she isn't picking up her call. I need to ask her what exact notes. I am so sorry for trouble."

"It's okay. You can go to her room and ask. Don't make noise."

"Thank you so much and once again I am sorry."

"it's okay."

I knock her bedroom door and there wasn't any response. Maybe she is asleep? I went in and turn on the lights. She was talking to someone hiding under blanket and jumped off the bed as I tap her.

"You scared me. What are you doing here?"

"So, you have time to talk on phone but just not to me?"

"Rashi, it's not what you think."

"Really?"

"Can we calm down. My parents can hear us."

"Okay."

She closed the door and picked up her phone.

"This is my second phone that no one knows. The phone you were calling is with my dad."

"Why?"

"No phones are eight in the house and I forgot to tell them I got into PhD program because I didn't know about your miracle. They got call from university about it. They were mad at me that they took my phone, laptop and forced me to cancel those library memberships. I lied to them about the whole book club thing too, they found out that too while going through my journals. I didn't remember your number so I couldn't call you."

"I am sorry Piku, you went through a lot."

"That's fine. I am sorry for storming out like that, I am grateful to you but I think...."

"I don't' want it. The PhD, I don't want it."

"I am sorry Rashi but I am so thankful to you."

"So, you are taking the course?"

"Yes."

"My parents were angry at me for not telling them. I lost it all. I saw my personal stuff thrown on the ground and I was devastated. My father kept yelling and my mom was crying. I lost it. I lost my mind and yelled. I don't know why, how but I yelled at my father for the very first time. I told them that I was ashamed to get into PhD program because it's not mine, it's my best friend's. She gave up because you don't want me to study further, forcing me to get married of the stupid deal. They were shocked. None them spoke to me after I said the words that I have been holding it back for years. My father left without saying a word and my mom took up the things and took it away."

"I am sorry. I should have come with a plan to tell them."

"No plans, no scheming, no hiding. They are my parents, they can't understand their own daughter then who will? They need to accept me because I am part of both of them. Also, I hid some secrets from you."

"OH?"

"I am dating someone."

"That's someone you were talking under the blanket?"

"Yeah. Her name is Sharron. You know her and she knows you too..."

"Sharron? The girl from university Sharron?"

"Yes."

"What?' No? I object!"

"You are shocked about who I am dating not about me being lesbian? I always thought you would freak out If I came out."

"I knew that you're a lesbian. That journals of yours were not hidden safely but Sharron? She practically bullied you in high school."

"Well, we almost got caught and she just pushed me. We both preferred to be seen as enemies than lovers."

"Ohkayy.... That's what you want, I am happy for you."

Aron called

"Shoot. I had kept him waiting."

I texted him

I'll be there in few minutes. All is fine here.

"I'll come tomorrow to talk to your parents. Be safe and save my number in this phone."

"Okay."