Ch 3: Going Home

The Queen drums her fingers against the velvet armrest, struggling to subdue her anger. She swallows, her eyes skimming over the mapped table in front of her.

Arabeth. Its miniaturized mountains and valleys rose and fell before her, studded with red and blue pins.

Red for vampire, blue for werewolf. On the far outreaches of the map yellow and purple pins clump together, each in their own territories. The elves and succubi had stayed surprisingly silent during the war, their fear of the Queen from their last defeat still fresh in their minds.

"Our estimates are 50,000 dead, another 20,000 wounded. Princess Eloise is rallying the troops as we speak." Commander Alyssa speaks. "Your soldiers are tired, my Queen. All of them have spilled their own blood or buried those they love."

Prince David watches from the corner of the room, a hand stroking his graying beard.

Celestia traces her finger along the ridge separating the vampiric and werewolf kingdom. Their updated maps have four new markings etched where new caves had been found. Her best minds in the kingdom had been tasked with sorting the mystery of the tides and tunnels– where they are, how long until they flood. The imbeciles, however, had brought her unreliable information at best.

"And what of the darts?"

The room falls silent.

The Queen rises, slamming her fist against the table, the wood splintering beneath her. All in the room, save her uncle, jump.

Her voice is eerily cool. "The darts that fell a quarter of my army in one swoop. You mean to tell me we know nothing?"

"We— we know they are mountainheart, your majesty," General Rodric speaks, his voice wavering. "Ground up into a fine powder then injected inside the chamber of the dart. Our armor protects against them, but leaves areas vulnerable. The hands, the neck, for example..." he trails off, gulping at the look of fierce rage emanating from his Queen.

Celestia clenches her fists in an effort to restrain herself. A dead general would help no one.

"Outfit new armor suitable for every soldier still able bodied enough to fight. I want every inch of skin protected, am I understood?"

"Yes, your majesty." Rodric bows, stumbling.

The Queen takes her seat lightly, struggling to keep her fangs contained. "And the human trafficking rings, was Nicole's mission successful?"

"Nicole and her team are due to return this evening. I am sure she will return with the perpetrators in custody." Commander Alyssa nods.

"Good." Celestia eases herself back into her chair. No need to fight those in this room. They are her commanders, her confidants since she was a child. If she can not trust those with her, Arabeth has already fallen. "You are dismissed."

Timidly her generals and commanders rise, gathering their papers together before filing out the arched doorway.

Celestia allows herself to slump in her chair, tugging her sleeves down to hide the puncture wounds on her scorched, angry skin.

"They are frightened of you."

She does not need to look up to know her uncle remains seated across from her.

"I am the Queen of Blood. Should they not be?"

Prince David nods, understanding. He stands, shoving his hands deep in his pockets as he approaches the table. He stops over the battle worn forest separating the werewolf and vampire territories.

"Where do you reckon she is?"

Golden eyes cracked through with crimson flash up.

"In the forest, I mean. Most human camps have sought shelter in our towns by now. Estrella must be somewhere close."