ii. birds and snakes

Betty pulled onto the drive that led to the lab building. She parked the car in one of the many parking spots and the two of them walked into The Lab. It was a huge building, painted green, with wings for every department. Public relations, animal caretaking, evolutionary studies, disease control. Truthfully, everyone did a little bit of everything. Betty worked mainly in the caretaking wing which was responsible for feeding and supervising the animals. Ronnie was on the scientific side of things as head of the animal evolutionary team. But the great thing about being here was that field study was accessible to everyone, so no one missed out on animal encounters.

Betty gave Ronnie one last hug before she split. "I'm gonna go an' check with Mark on the donut situation."

"You do that," Ronnie laughed, pulling on her lab coat. She started down the hall to her office, boots thudding on the tile floor. Maybe the lab coat was overkill. She looked, smelled, and was likely covered in shit anyway. She should probably go back to her bungalow to shower before doing anything important. But she needed to check on the construction team, and hopefully get out there to keep things under control while the cement was poured. 

Ronnie really was not the best choice to lead the construction team. She was considered a top-notch employee because of her education, and she definitely wanted to be included in the project, but her leadership skills were not beyond average. They were average. She wasn't a born leader like some people. But she also wasn't one to turn down an opportunity to try something new.

And besides, this really was a great chance to observe the rhinoceroses' behavior. Everyone thought the evolutionary team was crazy, but there was so much evidence stacked in their favor. She needed to get out there to keep tabs on how the rhinos reacted to the-

"Excuse me, ma'am?"

Ronnie turned around and looked up and down at a young man in a polo shirt. "Yes?"

"You're Dr. Veronica Aaker, right?"

She crossed her arms over her chest. "I am, yes."

"I'm Lennard Damon, from PR. We got a call earlier this morning from John Hammond requesting to meet with you? He's a benefactor."

"You can tell him no. Have him meet with someone else."

"I would, Doctor, but he specifically requested you. He's a very big sponsor, ma'am. Not much would run without him."

Ronnie did not have the time or energy to deal with this today. "I'm sure, but seeing as you're public relations and I'm not, I trust you to find someone else to speak with him." She began to walk to her office again, intent on overseeing the project.

The young man ran to catch up with her. "Dr. Aaker, he's mentioned withdrawing his support."

She stopped, and the young man stumbled forward.

"What?"

Lennard Damon fixed his glasses. "He mentioned when he called that he wanted to speak with you, and if he didn't, he would stop supporting the park."

Harambe practically ran on large donor support. There was only so much running tours could do. So yeah, it would cut out of her day, but as long as it wasn't within the next hour and interfering with her her visit to the construction team, she could deal with it. 

"Fine. When is he coming."

"In 15 minutes, ma'am. He said he would meet you at your bungalow."

"Motherfucker," she cursed, striding away from the man.

・🦖❤︎🦖・

Ronnie stalked out of the lab, minus her white lab coat. That would have to wait, seeing as it was apparently imperative that she speak with Mr. Hammond immediately.

Betty grabbed her by the arm she made her way to the doors. "Hey, slow down cowgirl, I got you a donut."

"Thanks Betty." Ronnie took the pink sprinkled monstrosity from her.

"Anytime. What's got you all worked up?"

Ronnie took a bite of the doughnut and talked between mouthfuls. "John Hammond wants to meet with me. I'm gonna miss the the rhinos' behavior."

"Hammond? What does he want?"

Ronnie shrugged. "Hell if I know. Do you think you could find the time to go out there and keep an eye on things for me? They put someone else in charge, but I trust you more."

"Aww, you're too sweet. Yeah, I'll watch your two-ton babies."

"Thanks Betty, you're a gem." She finished inhaling her breakfast and wiped her hands on her grimy shorts. "I gotta go. He's probably already here."

"Hey." Betty put her hand on Ronnie shoulder. "Keep it respectful. You know he's a donor."

"Yeah, yeah, I know." She pulled out of Betty's grip and walked outside to a jeep. "Rich old men just run the whole fucking world these days."

・🦕✦・🦖・✦🦕・

the chapter names on this are lyrics from the song the whole fic is based off of, they're not really indicative of anything happening in the plot. also i  would just like to say that i am aware ronnie's theories are wrong and very far-fetched. you gotta just go with me here. she's trying her best.

❤︎