v. world serves its own needs, don't misserve your own needs

"I would've had you pegged as for a coconut kind of girl."

Ronnie froze for half a second and chuckled, regaining her composure. "Oh, nah, I hate coconuts." 

"Really?" He stepped out of the sun and she was able to wholly take in the man's tanned skin and black leather jacket and black pants- holy shit, this man had legs for days. 

He pulled out a chair. "A pretty thing like you? I can't believe that- can I sit here?"

Ronnie bit her tongue and nodded. 

"Thanks. Thank you. I just can't believe-" he paused and furrowed his brow at Ronnie's book. "Is that, er- is that my book?"

He made eye contact with her and Ronnie could make out hazel eyes beneath his glasses. "I don't know. Are you-" she paused and flipped her book over to check the cover- "Dr. Malcolm?"

"Ian! Ian Malcolm." 

"Oh wow, then I guess it is, huh? What are the chances. I'm Ronnie. Ronnie Aaker." She held out her hand for him to shake. 

He took her hand and placed a small kiss on the back of it, sending ghostlike shivers down her arm and over the back of her neck. 

She pulled her hand politely out of his grasp and tucked it into her lap, putting her book fully on the table. "I don't think I've ever been greeted by a man like that before." 

"Then you clearly haven't met many gentlemen," Malcolm said with a slight purr in his voice. Ronnie hoped her blush wasn't too prominent in the sun. He was clearly just a flirt, but it had been a hot minute since Ronnie had been flirted with.

"Wait but this- this is your book? Does that make you a mathematician? Are you here with John Hammond?"

"No, no, I'm with Gennaro. Hammond's lawyer. And I'm a chaotician, sweetheart."

"What the hell does that mean."

"It means he's very full of himself, that's what," Hammond said, appearing behind Malcolm with two blondes in tow. "You'll have to excuse Dr. Malcolm. he suffers from a deplorable excess of personality, especially for a mathematician." 

Ian raised his finger to object, but John waved him off. "Chaotician. Whatever. No one cares." 

Malcolm had the nerve to look crestfallen, and Ronnie covered up her laugh with a cough. 

John turned back around to the couple behind him, who Ronnie assumed were the final two joining them on this little trip. Both looked very practical, and Ronnie was happy to see that the woman was in work boots and had dirt under her fingernails. It would be great to have another girl here so she wasn't left alone to the wrath of men all weekend. "Anyway, Dr. Veronica Aaker, Dr. Malcolm, I'd like to introduce you to Dr. Ellie Sattler and Dr. Alan Grant!"

All four of them were doctors. Hammond wasn't kidding when he said experts. "That's a lot of PhDs," Ronnie muttered.

"Mhmm," she heard Ian hum. 

Ronnie stood up to shake both of their hands, and was thankfully given nothing more than a handshake in return. "Hello. I'm Ronnie," she said to Ellie Sattler. "I'm a zoologist from Australia." 

"Hi, I'm Ellie, I'm a paleobotanist," Dr. Sattler said with a smile.  

Paleobotanist? Why the fuck was there a paleobotanist? 

Ronnie shook the man's hand. "Dr. Grant," he said. "Paleontologist."

"Wait, so you two, er-" Ian gestured between Ellie and Alan. "Dig up dinosaurs?"