Ripped Ties: Chapter 8

"I don't think so..." I continued. There was no way this chick could be telling the truth. I can't actually believe someone has actually kept in contact with somebody from my past, it's like a creepy ghost has been following me around everywhere...and anytime.

"I'm not lying." She hissed at me.

"Yeah right, Bridgette Dulane hasn't been seen or heard of since then, and her parents have sent her away to some reform camp, far far away in Hilton Heights." I admitted, not everyone knew this apparently Kat didn't either.

"I know, but what you don't know is Bridgette escaped" she continued, "and I feel bad for helping her do it to because she.. she hasn't been found since." She looked down worried and scared thinking about what could have happened to her friend.

I sighed, "well Bridgette seemed like the type to always be able to take care of herself..when she wasn't wasted you know? Maybe she stayed in some dinky motel and got a job as a waitress or something?" I hoped for the best.

"No" she said, "she's still out there somewhere, but not alone." She wandered over the window, looking at some kid play with his cat teasing it with its toy. He bounced around the frilly stick in the cats face as the cat tried to grab its prey, dangling in its view just out of reach.

Just like she did to me huh? Dangling something I wanted in my face bribing me to that room until I did what she wanted...except I didn't take the bait.

Wait a minute.

"Woah, time out when exactly did you help her escape? " I started asking.

"I don't know, like sometime last September?" She replied, "why?

"Because, I couldn't have possibly have gotten her pregnant because we met last July at the house party and everything went down a week later...I couldn't have possibly done it to her then because she found out three weeks later...isn't there some girl logic that means it takes longer than that for the baby to...form?" I still had a chance to prove my innocence, by not being the guy who impregnated one of my father's associates.

"Well, there is some science saying something along those lines but I still remember you guys going up those staircases and not coming down for awhile so don't try to weasel yourself out of this one." She pointed her finger at me accusing me decisively.

I caught her eyes looking into mine and knew she only saw me as the enemy her but she did seem like a nice girl and maybe she had a twinge of compassion left in her so my only rebuttal was that. Plus, her face and words showed anger, but I could tell behind her eyes she was just hurt and needed some closure of what she thinks she might have witnessed last summer.

"Kat.." I ran my fingers through my hair, spying the time and seeing we had to go soon. "C'mon, I think we both know Bridgette had a history of doing some things, horrible things. And I'm not saying she deserved this, not at all. But do you honestly think I would do that to her knowing her parents are, and -and getting me into this situation of living in this deprived town?" She heard the sincerity in my voice but still kept her gaze at me, trying to figure out if she should believe me or not.

"I don't know I-I don't even know you! I just know that you pushed my friend to far and got her so drunk I had to take her home, well I tried to at least...." she whispered down into her shoulder.

I grabbed her hand frantically, beckoning for more information "What?"

"N-nothing!" She embarrassingly retrieved her away and blush began to form in her cheeks.

Ugh, I sighed this was getting me now where. "Let's go home." I started backing up the car. "Not like finding a whore is easy" I twinged as I said that under my breath, forgetting that her best friend was right here next to me....curse my manly impulse.

She looked at me horrified and attacked my chest where my new tie my mom bought for me for the party was hanging, ripping a shred from it.

She looked at me mortified, "And you're an intolerable, sleezy gangbanger!" She huffed.

I smirked at her, her arms were crossed but I knew she couldn't really hurt anyone, she looked like she couldn't hurt anything but a research paper.

"Ok, fighter hold on. Lemme at least take you home with you, um water." I looked down at her now empty puddle of what once was fully frozen ice.

We drove down the block and turned twice to reach where her house was, which was coincidentally placed behind mine.

"Okay, there ya go." I breathed, sighed at the events that had just previously occurred.

"Well, I guess we'll start tomorrow" she said while getting out of my car, still injured by getting hit.

"Wait, what do you mean?" I called out to her.

"To find her....we need to find her. We're gonna hitch up a plan and find Bridgette Dulane...or else."

And with that, she slammed the car door behind her and locked it with that.

Ugh.....girls....