Letter #3

Dear Marjorie,

    Oh my, I haven't had enough time to sit down and write a letter in quite some time. After looking over the last letter I wrote, I realize I have a lot to write down.

Well, after that first impromptu visit from Dr. Hemlock, he's visited again about a dozen or so times. He'd always bring some kind of gift or treat Mum and I to dinner. Mum is completely charmed by him, but he seems to be more interested in me. I'm not sure how to feel about that. I mean, it hasn't been too long since I turned down Oleander's marriage proposal so I'm certainly not in a hurry to find myself involved in another one.

The company Mum's been working for has been turning out less and less profit each month. I've spent all my free time baking and painting things to sell at the weekend market to make extra money to help out with Mum's finances, but I fear soon it won't be enough. We've already had to lay off some of the workers around the estate (with a promise of paid leave when we can afford it) and I don't know if we'll even have enough to keep the house. Oh, Marjorie, what are we to do if that happens? I don't want to sell your beautiful home—it's the last thing that still holds proof of your existence.

Anyway, since Dr. Hemlock works in the department beside Mum's, he's aware of the money struggles we're facing. He's offered to help Mum out numerous times but she refuses, not wanting to leech off of him.

However, as the situation grows more dire, I'm thinking I may have to make a decision regarding Dr. Hemlock that I won't be able to go back from. If... if he were my husband then he would be merely paying for a home he would inherit through my family. He's wealthy and is polite and has a nice face I suppose. I know I'm not in love with him but perhaps with time I could be. I just want to do whatever I can to prevent us losing our home. I don't want to think about how Oleander would feel if he found out. I just wish I could explain to him why I couldn't love him, that it truly was me and not him. Oh I don't know what to do. Marjorie, I need your guidance more than ever.

Love, Willow