Chapter 11

Emma's P.O.V.

Dawdling in my room, I was thinking about all the contingencies after leaving my only source of survival. Though in fury, I gave my resignation letter to Boss, the point is how will I be able to pay the money for infringing the contract?

The first thing I did after returning home from the office was to check the sunset clause. My soul left my body after checking the amount that I have to pay back if I resign before the contract ends. It was nearly half of my wealth that I had stashed for years.

"What should I do Reina? I can't work for that monster who tried to tarnish my dignity. You know it wouldn't have taken me a second to kill him but then I would have become an overnight sensation. A seventeen-year-old girl murdered the richest man of New York. And no one would believe me if I tell them the truth. God, what should I do?"

I was so unnerved at the moment that my hair turned damp from perspiration. Suddenly an idea to check my treasure popped into my idea. Let's see how much I have in my purse.

With that thought in my head, I got up and padded to the closet. Rummaging through my frayed clothes, I took out a silver key. I then took out my duffel bag from the lowest shelf. Unzipping it, I removed a wooden box from it.

This wasn't an ordinary wooden box; it was a treasure box that was gifted to me by Alpha Blake on my twelfth birthday. It was a magical box that could only be opened by a silver key. It neither can't be demolished nor can be stolen. The bronze lock on the box had the power to burn down a person who touches it other than me.

Inserting the key, I then unlocked the box and opened it only to see a bundle of notes piled in it. Grabbing them, I started counting to check my treasure. My shoulders slouched in defeat.

They were the exact amount I had to pay to the Knight Corporation.

"I haven't even paid my tuition fees for this semester yet."

I muttered while clutching the bundle in my right fist. I haven't even gotten my salary yet as it is just the beginning of the month. Whenever my salary was transferred to my account, the first thing I used to do is to pay my college fees. The bonuses I received for doing extra work, I used to spend on buying books and the necessary items needed for survival.

A sigh of helplessness escaped my lips. My fingers touched the rugged fabric of worn-out clothes. I hadn't bought a new pair for myself since last year.

I sometimes regret my decision of choosing such a costly university for higher education. There was no provision for a scholarship at Wellington Institute and the fees were sky-high for an average student who had no financial assistance. Still, I was managing it somehow but now, what am I gonna do?

I grabbed my forehead in my palms. I was resigning from a prestigious job, had no other job in hand, and also had to manage my education. I had no financial support from anywhere else. Neither I can't ask for help from someone. Stacy and Claire will start asking me the reason for my resignation. I had already made a blunder by slapping the richest man in America and if this news spreads, then eventually I would become prey to unwanted rumors and scandals.

Fuck, I should have thought about this before.

My mind was a jumbled mess. I don't know what to do anymore. Turning my head, I looked outside the window. Today was a full moon but my life was still under the grasp of dark, feral clouds.

Don't know when I will be able to see a silver lining?

Aunt Ela used to tell me that God always puts struggles in the life of those who are capable to fight with them. But isn't God now going overboard with his tests?

"Do you want me to beg on the streets? How am I gonna grab such a good job equivalent to my previous one in a day? Was it necessary to make my CEO an asshole? I was happy being a tech expert then why did you advise him to schedule an interview for secretary? Why did I even glare at him that day?"

Why the hell did I even slap him?

I smacked my forehead in frustration. Damn, I am going crazy.

"You did nothing wrong, Emmaline. He deserved that", Reina snarled in my head.

"Shut up, will ya?", I shouted back at her making her growl at me.

"It's easy for you to say that. I am dealing with my shits alone while you just keep lecturing me. I have to deal with such pathetic monsters daily while you live safely inside me. You don't know how hard is it for me to survive alone in such a cruel world?", I snapped at her stunning silence.

Reina didn't answer after that. I scoffed.

Leaning my head on the wall, I closed my eyes to clear my head.

What's done can't be undone now. There's no way I am gonna grovel back to that pervert, pathetic excuse of a man. I have multiple interviews in my hand and I have full confidence in myself. I would do multiple jobs. Crying and shouting won't do anything good instead it will only waste my time and drain my energy. Moreover, my self-esteem comes first before anything.

My eyes shot open as I gave myself a pep talk. I needed that at the moment.

Collecting my stuff, I then clambered to my feet and started preparing myself mentally to get that shit done.

Once and for all.