iii. halloween in hawkins

twist of fate.
CHAPTER THREE

' Cindy Newby: The Party Girl

' Cindy Newby: The Party Girl. '

˖⋆࿐

Cindy Newby hated halloween.

     It wasn't that ghouls or gore scared her, in fact, Cindy rather liked the horror genre, she just didn't like how everyone seemed to act around this time of the year. She hated the dressing up and the parties, which were all just an excuse for a bunch of teens to get together and drink all night. It wasn't what Cindy considered to be fun, yet every year she was forced to participate in the ridiculous holiday. Either her friends would drag her to a party — like they were trying to do this year — or she would be on candy duty at home with Bob who was big on halloween.

     This year was no different. Cindy had hoped that considering Bob would be able to spend the evening with Joyce this time, he would tone it down, but Cindy knew better than to expect anything less than perfection from her father and she had a feeling that he already had the night planned out. That was why Cindy had decided she would go to Tina's party. She didn't really want to go, but she knew that a night out with her friends would be good for her. That's what she kept telling herself, at least.

     Steve's words from the day before also kept replaying in her mind. Even he knew she needed to take a break and Cindy couldn't fight the smile formed on the blondes face as she thought about the boy. She hated the affect he had on her considering they were barely even friends, more acquaintances than anything. His presence was intoxicating and if it wasn't for the fact she was his tutor, she would be avoiding him at all costs. Steve Harrington was a distraction and Cindy did not have time for distractions.

     Before the party, Cindy made a quick stop at the Byers' house to check in with Bob. He had gone there straight after work so Cindy hadn't seen him yet. She had asked him that morning if she could go to the party and he said it was fine. Bob wasn't a strict parent, but he did like to know what his daughter was up to and Cindy had no problem telling him. She always made sure to keep him updated so he didn't have to worry and he truly appreciated that.

As Cindy arrived at the house, she was greeted by Bob in his Dracula costume — or as he liked to keep telling her — his Dadcula costume. It would always make her giggle and roll her eyes every time he said it which is why he continued to do it. He loved seeing his daughter so happy in little moments like those and they were the memories he always carried with him. Cindy was yet to put on the costume that she had managed to put together at the last minute. She was quite impressed with what she had come up with and she just hoped people would understand.

Natalie and Matthew were on their way to pick Cindy up so she swiftly walked to the bathroom to get ready. She walked past Bob who was showing Jonathan how to use the video camera so that he could document the trick or treating for Joyce to watch later. Joyce was busy helping Will get ready and reminding him to stay close to Jonathan at all times. Cindy smiled at the interaction as she slipped into the bathroom and began getting changed. It was a simple costume, but it took Cindy a while to fix her hair exactly how she wanted it. At one point, she had to call Joyce in to help hairspray the back of her hair while she put her makeup on. It took a lot of effort, but as Cindy stared at her reflection in the mirror, she knew it was worth it.