VIII

Lost & Found

Everyone had gone back home

Everyone had gone back home. Just about, that is. Everyone reunited with friends and family, half the population no longer gone. Clint went to his family, Peter back with his bestfriend Ned, Scott and Hope together and much more.

Lydia didn't keep her eyes off of Sam as they went home, scared he would slip away again. When they got to Lydia's place, they were immediately greeted by the dog and cat duo of Bear and Magic. Lydia smiled happily as she dropped down to pet them before closing the door and stepping back.

"Bear, Magic, this is your dad! He's back" She smiled at her animals, who jumped up onto Sam barking and meowing. Sam laughed as he pet the animals, smiling at Lydia. When they went to go lay down, Sam turned to Lydia, pulling her onto the couch as they laid together.

"God I missed you" She sighed, pressing a gentle kiss to his lips

"Well I'm back, and I'm not going anywhere, I promise" He reassured her, running a hand up and down her back.

"Hey Lids? What'd you do everyday I was gone? Surely five years had to have been interesting " Sam asked

"Um" Lydia began, "Honestly what didn't I do? I don't think much happened, it was lonely so I spent a lot of time with Nat and Sarah, worked, you know"

"Oh my God I have to call Sarah" Sam sat up, rushing to his phone as Lydia laughed , the two face-timing Sarah and the boys.

Later that night, the two laid together in bed, Lydia watching Sam as he slept, just savoring the moment.

"I can feel you watching me" Sam whispered

"Shut up no you can't" Lydia whispered back

Sam opened his eyes and smiled at her, "Yes"

"Go to sleep birdy" Lydia laughed

"Well... there's something else-" Sam began

"Oh my God Sam-" Lydia laughed, rolling closer to the man, as the two shared a kiss, among other things.
————————————————————————

Days later, everyone was at Tony's cabin, for his funeral.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping if you play this back it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited, I hope we get it back. And something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe now. If you told me ten years ago, that we weren't alone, let along to the extent, I mean, I wouldn't have been surprised but come on, who knew? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan is gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So I thought, I'd probably better record a little greeting. in the case of an untimely death, on my part. Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing, that we're trying to pull off tomorrow. It's got me scratching my head. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end. What am I even tripping for ? Everything's gonna work out. Exactly the way it's supposed to." Tony's video played out, the version of him stepping forward, "I love you 3000"

Everyone walked outside, setting his heart atop the lake. Everyone standing with one another for comfort, red eyes shared from tears. Lydia stood a bit further, beside Sam, Bucky, and Wanda. Mourning the lost of her friend. Of their friend.
———————————————————————-

Steve was going to go back, to return the stones. Lydia stood against a tree, watching the exchange of Steve and Sam.

"You know if you want, I can come with you" Sam said

"You're a good man, Sam" Steve said, "This one's on me though"

Steve stepped forward to Bucky, "Don't do anything stupid till I get back"

"How can I? You're taking all the stupid with you" Bucky smiled sadly, giving Steve a small hug before whispering, "Gonna miss you buddy"

"It's gonna be okay Buck"

Steve then turned to Lydia, nodding at her.

"Steve" She nodded back, "Good luck"

Within seconds, Steve was gone. But didn't return, at least not the same. Bucky turned away, looking over at a bench.

"Sam" Buck spoke, showing Sam what he saw. The two walked forward, to a point, before Bucky told Sam to go ahead. Lydia stepped near Bucky, exchanging a glance with him as she watched her boyfriend walk over.

"So, did something go wrong or did something go right?" Sam asked

"Well, after I put the stones back, I thought" Old Steve began, "Maybe, I'll try some of that life Tony was telling me to get."

"How'd that work out for you?" Sam asked again

"It was beautiful" Steve smiled

"Good. I'm happy for you" Sam said

"Thank you" Steve said,

"Only thing bumming me out is I have to live in a world without Captain America" Sam said

"Oh; that reminds me"Steve said, pulling open a bag that contained the shield. "Try it on"

Sam looked back at Bucky and Lydia, Bucky nodding his head at the man. Lydia nearly gasped watching as Sam picked up the shield.

"How does it feel?" Steve asked

"Like it's someone else's" Sam answered, "Thank you. I'll do my best"

"You wanna tell me about her?" Sam asked

"No. No I don't think I will" Steve smiled, looking toward the lake.

Sam walked back over to Bucky and Lydia, the shield still in hand.

"Well..." Sam began, looking at the two.

"Wow" Lydia breathed, "I'm speechless"
————————————————————————

A/N
And just like that, this book is finished. Thank you all so much to everyone who read and loved Noctuary Honestly thank you so so much! I apologize for just leaving halfway through but I'm back and I'm very happy with how this story went. To everyone who has shown love from Hopelessly Devoted to this, I love you guys!
Also thank you for 2k reads!!
This is the end of Lydia and Sam's journey... for now
<3
- Em

Word Count: 1023
Written: May 26, 2022
Published: May 26, 2022