twenty four // jungkook

3 months later, September

We are in the middle of the last episode of "Top Chef". Live. And at this rate someone might not live through to see the ending.

It's easier when the episodes are pre-recorded. If something happens, something that shouldn't be on a camera, we can run it back and record it how it's supposed to be. A live broadcasting doesn't have that luxury.

I've just given my rating for one of the contestant's dessert. And now, as Amy is speaking, the cameras on her, Sam Evans pulls me to the side, his grip uncomfortably harsh on my arm.

"Are you crazy?" he spits out, quiet enough for me to hear only. "Why'd you rate this shit so high?"

"Because it was fucking good," I talk back, voice low.

Sam Evans thinks he's a god. He thinks he has a right to insult me whenever my opinion doesn't match with his. And he's been awfully good at making me feel like shit for doing my job. And for doing it well.

And I'm fucking tired of this. Of three months of hell where Sam Evans gives me shit whenever he feels like rubbing his huge ego on someone. He's made me his punching bag, and I don't care how famous he is. No one will be treating me like this.

"You're so fucking useless," he says. "Someone with no talent like you shouldn't be allowed to step a foot in a kitchen."

He walks past me to join the rest of the judges. Every single insult he's thrown my way in the past three months – and there's been a lot – makes this one a million times worse. Unbearable.

Forgetting where I am, I turn around and say, loud and clear, for everyone to know Sam Evans is nothing but a childish asshole, "I don't need your bitchy opinion. Especially when you can't give it to me when everyone's around." When he looks at me wide-eyed, I scoff and add, "Son of a bitch with no balls."

The recording studio goes silent. There's not a single sound around us. And we're still live.

I know what I've done. I know how much I fucked up. But as I stare at him, he stares back at me, and I know I've stood up for myself, I can't find an ounce of regret in myself.

~~~

"Jeon Jungkook, known by his on-screen name – John Harris, kicked out of "Top Chef" for insulting one of the top judges during the live finale of the show."

"Jeon Jungkook's program to be taken down."

"Jeon Jungkook in the middle of controversy for insulting Sam Evans during the final live episode of "Top Chef"."

My stomach hurts as I sit at the table in my apartment, waiting for the phone call I know is coming. I have eaten a toast in the past 36 hours, I can't stomach a thing. My phone keeps ringing. Everyone from the restaurant. My parents. Old friends I barely talk to. My extended family.

And a feeling of literal end of the world isn't leaving me for a moment.

It's over, I know it's over.

When I've finally bitten my nails down to blood, my phone rings. A cry for help rumbles at the back of my throat. As I pick up, my hands are freezing.

"Yeah?"

Alex heaves a sigh. Last moment of calm before the storm. "You're an idiot, you know?" he says, every letter filled with so much anger. "You not only shot your own knee, but mine, too. This is... Did you even use your brain for a second there?!"