[ 002 ] sinister mister

THE TRADITION.

━━━ Chapter Two: Sinister Mister

The relationship between father and daughter is a strained one.

It's been that way since time began because Father wants his son, but Father gets Daughter instead and Father is full of misplaced anger and belligerency that shouldn't be directed towards his daughter. Father sees Son as his carbon copy, the child he was destined to have as his only child, his heir, his son but Father gets Daughter and suddenly the similarities are too strong, too potent, and too aggravating.

Mother holds down the house with her saccharine smiles and kind, honeyed words and everything good that she represents, almost like Virgin Mary for how pure and good she is. Mother loves Father, Son, and Daughter equally. Mother is Mother.

And then Mother dies and leaves a broken family behind, forever tormented with the loss of Lorna Malfoy who loved and loved and loved until it killed her; Mother dies, and Violet Malfoy doesn't know if she's even a daughter anymore or just a girl born into a cursed bloodline.

Violet Malfoy loved greatly once, like her mother, with everything she had in her heart to give, and as much love a girl that hadn't even turned eight yet could give, but now Violet holds love at a distance and only lets a few people into her heart that has minimized so greatly since Lorna's death that it's a wonder she even has a heart at all.

Now Violet only really loves her brother because Lucius sees the Violet that was seven and clung to her mother's skirts when they walked through parties, and laughed so vibrantly at the corny, and sometimes even crude, jokes he made in hushed voices, and treated strangers she met with the same kindness that she would've treated a familiar face. Lucius doesn't see the Violet that walks through the halls of her house with a shriveled heart and an exasperated soul and starts petty fights with random schoolmates, so her knuckles bleed red and bruise mauve, and she feels something other than emptiness and a vague sense of hatred to everyone with love to give, and hardly resembles her mother anymore.

Violet loves Lucius despite the fact that he sees the old version of her, even if the version of her she's in, the skin she's been slowly decaying in since she was seven, is the only one she feels is natural. She loves her brother because he loves her, despite everything that has happened to them since they were old enough to comprehend the fact that their mother was dead, and that's enough to know she has someone to love.