IV- Chaos In The Plaza

"We're here, welcome to the City Of Qork." 

The carriage driver glanced over me as I was jumping ecstatically with my trumpet in hand and my crossbow banging into my back every time I leap into the sweet air. This is my first time ever seeing any form of civilization other than my home city. I remember hearing stories from the other town bards of the dragons and heroes that live in such cites. Thinking about those extraordinary stories only makes me dance around the carriage, I was restless to see this world.

The carriage driver with a small gray beard covering his face and a sky blue cloak gives me a wide grin as I start dancing and triumphantly play the trumpet.

"You'll learn soon enough not to be excited about coming to dumpster cities like these ones. Come boy, help me make this delivery."

The carriage driver jumps off the driver's side and walks over to the back of the carriage as I realize I had to fulfill part of the agreement I made with the man. In order to get a free ride to The City Of Qork I had to help him deliver some potions.

I follow him and my eyes widen as they travel up to see the largest tree I have ever seen. I grab the carriage driver's arms and start shaking them.

"LOOK AT THE TREE, THE CARRIAGE DRIVER! IT IS SO HUGE!" I yell as some people in the streets look at me with a wrinkled face.

The Carriage Driver does a small chuckle, "Yeah, yeah. The Tree Of Vivgudis, the only thing in this city that doesn't look like cow shit. Also I don't know why you keep calling me 'The Carriage Driver'. I have a name you know."

I shake my head at him "I thought your name was The Carriage Driver."

"Are you fucking with me right now? No, of course it's not The Carriage Driver, it's Cyprian." Cyprian starts grabbing crates from the back of the carriage, I help in the process unloading the heavy crates.

"Hey thanks, buddy." Cyprian smiles at me but I return it with a hostile gaze.

"My name is Bud. Not buddy."

"Oh sorry about that... Bud... Anyways, if any guards ask you ANYTHING about these crates, or how you got in the city, don't tell 'em anything. Don't think you'll have too much of an issue anyways most guards here are already paid off."

I give Cyprian a quick nod as a short Dwarf with black hair that swings around his shoulders walks towards us. The Dwarf holds a large pouch that clanks every time he takes a step towards them. The Dwarf stops right in front of the crates studying them.

"Ay is this be ingredients I ord'r?"

The Dwarf has a deep voice with a small rasp.

Cyprian smiles,

"Ah it indeed is. How have you been holding up, Hammerhead?"

"Gah. Not so great. My annoying business partn'r, Presto been an ass."

Hammerhead loudly sighs, Cyprian pats Hammerhead's shoulder,

"Seems normal. Ever thought about starting something on your own? These ingredients would go nicely in the right crowd."

Hammerhead looks up for a moment, handing the carriage driver the large pouch that makes a satisfying clink as it lands into the carriage driver's hands.

"Well yes. I might be doing that sometime soon" The dwarf squints his eyes at me, I give him the same expression in return.

Cyprian breaks our staring contest, "Don't worry about him, he won't say anything."

The dwarf nods and says "Presto doesn't know about what I sell behind his back though I think he may suspect I'm up to something. Say, can you help me bring these into my home and we can talk some more business, maybe something to do with Presto?"

While Hammerhead and Cyprian were talking in their own small world, I turned away uninterested in what they were talking about.

Without saying anything to Cyprian I started to wander around the city. There were a lot of strange squiggles that I learned were called letters, somehow people could look at a bunch of scribbles and make out that it is a place to drink or pray... Or something like that, letters made me scratch my head and no matter how long I may stare at a wooden post, with the random lines and curves, I could not see how people could understand it.

So as a solution I just wander around until I find something interesting or familiar.

I wander around the roads for hours, they curve and turn all around the city. Until I found myself in a large circle shaped area fully paved with bricks and people packing every corner of the large plaza.

Lots of people crowding around colorful tents with golden and silver coins getting thrown at them, I saw the large tree behind the large circle plaza place. I start making my way towards the magnificent tree until I hear,

"Free samples, Free samples! Don't you wish to become strong as a bull? Try the power of my Potion Of Bull Strength". A halfling, a 3ft tall humanoid, stands tall on the store counter holding multicolored flasks that have a luminosity to them. The halfling curls his arms, kissing his small muscles and shouts again, gathering more eyes from the people of the plaza.

"Or perhaps you wish to impress a person you have fallen for, try out my Potion Of Magnetic Charming!"

I hop over, as other people start to crowd the wagon, with the weird scribbles on rims that I don't know what they mean. The people started snatching the free samples from the halfling. I almost drowned in the crowd of people, and finally got to the front of the wagon.

"I want a free sample." I smack my hand next to where the halfling is standing looking straight at the halfling with a small purple top hat and a purple one buttoned blazer.

The halfling frowns at me while counting his money, "Oohh... Looks like you are too late! All the samples are gone! How about you buy a potion instead!"

I frowned and gave him a pouch of money (I had no idea how to count).

"How much Potions Of Maggy Char-"

The halfling raised his eyebrow as he counted my coins, "It's Potion Of Magnetic Charming, not whatever the hell you just said."

Bud stared blankly at the halfling, "Yeah that. H-o-w m-u-c-h?" I spaced out my words impatiently.

"50 silver coins will fetch you only 1 potion." The halfling takes the coins away, giving me one flask that has a lime glow. I grab it and put it into my backpack next to my trumpet.

The halfling waves me off, "Make sure to come to Presto: The Potion Master if you want moooreee!"

I storm off and mumble, "I won't. Because I don't know how to find your stupid little shop with your stupid scribbles plus I don't even want to see you ever again."

I ponder for a moment, that halfling and the store name, Presto: The Potion Master ,

Hammerhead said his annoying partner was Presto!

I nod my head, agreeing with Hammerhead's statement.

I look behind me as screams erupt from behind, the people scattering around the wagon who drank the free samples started transforming into large humanoid creatures, sharp bones protruding out of their spine with feathers lined across their arms.

I stand in place with my eyes locked onto the beast, my hand slowly makes its way over to my crossbow, it'll be my first time needing to use such a weapon against an actual enemy...

[Next Chapter- The City Of Qork: The City Of Monsters]