𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

STELLA BURNS

My legs swung as I sat on a corner of the barn rooftop, watching the sunset and waiting for the stars to greet me. I relished the feeling of the gentle breeze on my cheeks, after being burned by the sun all day this week.

A whine came from the ground and I bent over to look down. Both of my dogs were looking up at me with wet eyes. Max was silent with his puppy eyes but Dom was whining out loud. His tongue stuck out as if to mock me.

I stuck my tongue out back momentarily before laying down back to my back, my legs still dangling off the roof.

Mom had left two days ago, taking the car to the second barn where we had stocked in case something happened - such as in this situation. We filled the gas tanks and we cooked the storage soup for grandmother together. She packed only a few things. By her trembling hands, I could tell she was nervous. I understood it was because it was her first time going out into the world since my birth.

Once she left, I ran to the roof to lay down there and went here every night. She never allowed me to do so in concern that I would accidentally fall. I sneaked out to do this sometimes when everybody was asleep but I never had the chance to watch the sunset from here. It was beautiful and alluring.

My mother was supposed to be here yesterday night but she had told me I shouldn't be worried if she was a bit late. I've overheard Mom and Grams talking, in concerns that she might be caught. It confused me dearly. Caught by what or whom?

So I tried to not worry myself and distracted myself from my thoughts with the chores. Mother had forbidden me from the harder work of farming while she was gone, especially the chores that involved blades, machines, and horses. I always did these chores under careful observation. I knew it wasn't because she didn't trust me, but just out of fear of an accident.

I was a bit depressed that I couldn't ride my horse. I rode my Precious almost every day and she, along with the other two horses was getting agitated because they were trapped in their stables all day. I whispered sweet nothings to them, giving them extra treats and attention to make up for it.

Maybe I'm a little lonely without Mom and Grams sleeping for most portion of the day but I honestly loved the responsibility that came with it. I felt like I was an adult. I cleaned the house and brushed the dust like Grams and Mom usually do. I took care of Grams and I think I did a pretty good job at it.

I smiled slightly at the thought of me growing up as an adult where I had my own kid and my mother would help me raise them like Grams and she did. Although getting my hands on a special drink could be a problem in the future because there were no men in sight. Mom said there was a special drink that can only come from a man that would put the baby in my stomach.

I was tempted to fall asleep and wake up here in the morning but my sick grandmother awaited me. She was sleeping but soon I had to wake her up for her late dinner. She had denied the soup for three hours because she wasn't hungry and I promised I would return to offer her some when she was hungry. So I forced myself to get off the rooftop.

The dogs didn't hesitate to jump on me happily in an instant, begging for my attention. I began to skip towards the house with them following me. My hand brushed the wall, searching for the light as soon I entered. The living room and the kitchen went into my sight as the lights were turned on. As soon I grabbed the preserved soup in a lidded box and warmed it up, I walked into the hallway where Grams resided in.