Chapter 43

"california"

Andrew's  POV

Andrew's POV

"Hey Peyton, have you seen Brooke?" I ask as she opens her locker.

"Yeah, she just went outside to call her mom." She answers. I nodded and sighed at the idea of her leaving, "Everything will be okay Andrew. And if that phone call goes good then there won't be anything to worry about." I smiled and gave a goodbye as I went to go outside to check on Brooke.

"Oh, that is ridiculous, you and dad are never even home! No! Mom?" A voice I hear as I step outside, seeing Brooke arguing over the phone while she paces some of her steps. I lean on one of the pillars, watching her till the phone call ended. Peyton joins her as they have their conversation until Jenny's mom, Nikki, walks up to them.

"Andrew?" A voice call made me turn to look behind me.

"Theresa, uh hi. I haven't seen you since," Trying to think of the last time I saw her.

"Formal." She finished. I just closed my eyes momentarily and nodded, how could I forget. "Uh, anyway I just came to give you some papers that you missed in the first period. So here you go," Passing me three worksheets. Yeah, I kinda missed my first class of the day but it wasn't my fault. Well, it kinda was but that's beside the point. "Okay well, I'm going to go before Brooke slaps me so bye." She walks away rather quickly and when I turned back around I see why.

"What did she want?" Brooke asked in an annoyed tone as she watched her fellow cheerleader walk away.

"Nothing she just came to give me papers for a class," I answer and I hear her hum in acknowledgment. "So how did it go with your mom?"

I see her mood change at the topic and I already knew it didn't go good. "She told me I couldn't stay with Peyton because there was parental supervision." She scoffed. "Since when did they actually become parents."

I put my arm around her as we started to walk. "It's okay we'll come up with something," I said. Then I felt her gaze on me which made me tilt my head so I could look at her. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

"Just wondering how you can make me believe that everything is going to be okay." She smiled at me which made a smile of my own come across my face.

"Guess it's my superpower."

~

After the school day was finished I headed back home. As I entered I saw my father and Leah sitting in the living room watching tv. Before I could do anything I want to ask them a question that started as an idea but if it's the only hope then so be it.

"Can I talk to you guys?" I asked as I sat on the sofa beside them.

My father looked at me skeptically before nodding his head as Leah just gave me a small, yet calming smile.

I clasped my hands together and cleared my throat before speaking, "So both of you met Brooke, and well her Dad got the job but it's in-"

"California." He interrupts making me furrow my brows. I knew that her dad was applying at the same company but I thought it was still in North Carolina. "Have they packed everything yet? I'm pretty sure you're girlfriend is going to love it there."

"You knew the job was there?"

"Yeah, I mean who do think was the one that told Robert about the opening and vouched for him." I clenched my jaw at his words. "Also, this means you won't have a distraction."

"She isn't a damn distraction dad!" I stood up from my seat.

"Really, because you're always with her. You have to focus on returning from your injury but yet here you are spending each day with her. She is a distraction, get that through your head."

I scoff at his reply, "How bout you get it through your head that not every living moment has to be about basketball. It's not my fault you messed up your dream."

He stood to my height, but before anything could go further Leah got up from her seat and pushed us apart. "Let's just calm down okay." She said as she glanced between us. "Maybe just take a break, preferably separately."

I break away from my eye contact with my father and look at Leah who was giving me a pleading look. I just gave him one short glare before walking away but just like always, he has to get the last word. "I dare you to speak like that to me next time, Andrew. Then let's see how much guts you have."

Without turning back to him and giving him the reaction that he wants, I just walk out. Usually, if he and I fight about something, I let it go because I don't think it's worth getting in a physical altercation. So I got used to dropping any argumentative side that I held.

~~

I caught myself on the pier just looking out at the ocean. It's quiet, relaxing, and calming. Maybe that's why it's my favorite spot. It's everything I can't get at the house.

"Hey, thought I find you here." I hear the melodic voice. "You know I'm starting to think that you just have a phone for show." she teased, receiving a grin from me. "What are you doing here alone at night?"

"Got into an argument with my dad."

"About?" She curiously asked as I felt her gaze remaining on me.

I turn my focus away from the ocean and looked at her. Seeing the concern displayed in her expression as she waited for me to answer. "Uhm about you."

"Me?" I nodded my head in confirmation and explained the whole California thing. "I'm sorry if I'm creating issues between you and your-"

"Don't apologize." I interrupt, noticing that she was blaming herself. "Trust me, there has been a list of issues with me and my dad, and none of them include you. Our relationship has been falling apart before we even moved back here. So there is nothing you should apologize for, you have been the best thing that has happened to me."

A smile crept onto her lips as she slowly pulls me for a kiss. No matter how much we do this I will never not feel the burst of happiness. "You have been the best thing that has happened to me too." She mutters underneath her breath after we pulled apart. "Also about California," she paused, sensing the nervousness. "I'm staying until summer."

I tilt my head a little bit confused but smiled nonetheless. Maybe her parents changed their minds. "That's great news! Did you persuade your parents to let you stay at Peyton's after all?"

"Uhm no, I..." Pausing yet again. Honestly, I'm nervous about what she going to say. "I'm going to be staying at Lucas's."

What?

"Lucas?" I repeat once more, "You're staying with Lucas."

"No, I'm not staying with Lucas. I'm staying at Lucas's." She rushes to say. "It doesn't sound better, but he's not living there. It's just Karen okay there's nothing to worry about."

Third Person POV

'Nothing to worry about'. Is what she says but is it the truth?