Chapter 2

(Edited October 30, 2022)

PROLOGUE TWO

[NAME] POV

SOPHMORE YEAR

KEY
—————————————————————
"Normal Dialogue"
Thoughts
'Thought Dialogue'
"SQUIP Dialogue"
"SQUIP Controlling [NAME]'s Speech"
—————————————————————

    I wake up to the shrill screeching of my alarm clock. The horrible sound always wakes me up. Groaning in irritation, I tumble out of bed, walking across the room to turn my alarm off. I change into my Mew-Two with a [PAIR OF PANTS/SKIRT], along with my usual [FAVORITE COLOR] jacket and black Converse. Yesterday's outfit with a twist. God, my wardrobe is depressing... I grab my phone and begin my trek downstairs. It unexpectedly vibrates.

————————————————————————
???
————————————————————————

???: hey

???: dis [NAME]?

yeah? who dis? :Me

???: cool

???: it's Michael

oh :Me

sup Michael? :Me

————————————————————————
[ ??? Nickname Set to: Michael ]
————————————————————————

Michael: im abt to leave, i
was wondering if u wanted
a ride 2 school?

sure :Me

im abt to walk out the door :] :Me

you remember where i live? :Me

Michael: ya

Michael: ill pull up in a min

Michael: hey, my friend jeremy's w/me. is that cool?

yeah, that's cool w/me :Me
————————————————————————

     I open the door to see Michael's car stopping on the curb. There's another boy in the passenger's seat, who I assume is Jeremy. My assumption is confirmed I sit in the back seat. He introduces himself as Jeremy Heere, a, or rather the, friend of Michael. When Michael turns the key, a familiar tune begins to play. "Shut. Up. Is that Bob Marley?" "Yeah." He says, "Why, do you?" "Yes. Of course do." Jeremy turns to me. "Not you, too..." He jokes. "Yes. Me too. Bob Marley's my shit."Michael turns to Jeremy. "I'm not sorry, by the way." "Wha–" Michael turns the dial on the radio, drowning him out. He groans. The rest of the var ride consists of Michael and I belting Bob Marley songs, much to the dismay of Jeremy.

     Finally, we enter the parking lot of Middlesbrough High. Okay, now I'm nervous. Why is it so big? This is one of the smallest towns I've ever seen. I tighten my grip on the backpack strap loosely thrown into my shoulder. "You hood, [NAME]?" Jeremy asks. "Uh. Yeah. It's just so... Big." The two boys nod. "Yeah. You'll get used to it, though." Michael tried to ease my stress. Yeah. How bad could it be? I nod. "Yeah. I'll be alright." "Of course you will. You've got us!" "Yeah." Jeremy agreed. "Now c'mon."

     As soon as we enter the building, the three of us are greeted by the buzz of chatter through the halls. What the Hell? How are there so many kids here? This town is so small. "Office is over here." Michael directs me, pulling me out of the thought. "Thanks." "No problem. I'll wait here." I enter the office, collecting my schedule and locker information. "Got everything you need?" Michael asked. "Yeah. Hey, where's Jeremy?" He looks behind him. "He, uh. He had to go do something." I nod, not pressing any further. "So, what class do you have first?" I look at my schedule. "Uh... Math with Ms. Riddle." "I think Jeremy has him too. I can take you over there if you want." "Uh. Yeah, please." He motions for me to follow him. "C'mon."

     Michael and I make our way down the winding maze of hallways, stopping in front of a classroom. The door read 209. "Thanks, man." He waved his hand. "Any time. I'll see you later?" I nod. "Yeah. Later, Michael." "Later. Michael walks down the hallway, eventually being obscured by the wave of other students. I take a deep breath, before entering the room. Everyone's eyes float up to me for a moment, before they resumed their conversations. I see Jeremy in the back of the classroom. I make my way toward him. "Hey, is this seat taken?" I ask, motioning to the desk beside him. His eyes movetoward me. "Uh. No. You can sit there... If you want to." "Thanks." I sit down. Jeremy looks forward, dazed. "Are you okay?" His gaze snaps to me. "Huh?" "You look really tired." He pulls out his phone, opening his carmera. He squints. "Oh. Yeah. Late night." I nod. The door opens to reveal a tall woman in her mid thirties. She has blonde hair with strands that are almost... Gold? "Hello, everyone. I'm Ms. Riddle, your teacher for Algebra I. Please be quiet while I take attendance." She moves to her computer. "Abbey" He resopnds. This goes on for a moment. "Canigula." Jeremy looks toward the girl, aww struck. "Heere." Jeremy hesitated for a moment. "Present..." Some people snicker. He pulls out a sheet of paper, adding a mark. Is he keeping a tally on this shit? "Okay, now, before the school year starts, there are some things we need to go over..." This process repeats the next class.

     I walk down the hallway in search of Michael and Jeremy. I meet up with Jeremy outside of the cafeteria. "What's up?" He shrugs. "Just hanging out. How about you?" "I was looking for you and Michael. Speaking of, where is he?" He looked around the cafeteria before replying. "He probably went to 7/ELEVEN. He usually gets a slushy for lunch." I nod. "Nice." "Hey, guys!" The two of us turn around. "Michael!" We speak in unison. "I've got something for you." He holds out two slushies, one cherry, the other blue raspberry. "Oh, thanks, man." Jeremy says, taking the blue raspberry slushy. Michael holds out the cherry to me. I take it, thanking him.  "Hey, you're new here, right?" I turn to see the girl Jeremy had been staring at during the first period. "Oh. Uh, yeah. I'm [NAME]." She smiles brightly. "I'm Christine. I'm the self-appointed welcoming committee!" I nod. "Well, thanks. It's nice to meet you." "If I'd known you'd be here today I would have prepared something." I stop her. "Wait. It's literally the first day. How do you know I haven't been here?" She smirks. "This school isn't very big. It would be easy to notice. And besides, I have yet to forget a face." "I—" "But anyway, I just wanted to welcome you." She skips away. I turn to Michael. "What just— Where's Jeremy?" Michael looks to his side, seeing that his friend has disappeared. "Uuh... I don't know?"  At that moment, the bell rings, queuing us to go to our next class.