Invisible Souls

°°°

°°°

Haneul hadn't spoken to Junwoong for a few days. They would see each other in the office since she shadowed Mr. Lim, but he never outright acknowledged her presence.

"He'll come around," Mr. Lim had once told her as Junwoong scurried away from the office to get drinks. "I haven't known him for long, but I at least know this : he's soft. He can't stay mad too long."

Haneul had tried to ignore his remark by staring fixedly at the computer she was working on instead, but his gaze didn't leave her. "Look," she finally snapped, "I've known Junwoong longer than you have, so I think I know better—no offence. Junwoong doesn't get mad for no reason, and when he does, he doesn't let up—I mean, ever."

Now it was Mr. Lim's turn to be speechless and hers to intently gaze at him. She scoffed when his eyes fell on his computer and he started working on it. She should've know. He wasn't the type to get overly involved in anything, it was surprising enough that he had tried to comfort her—even if he did fail. She could him that much credit, at least.

Team Leader Koo entered the office, face grim and her hidden hands fidgeting inside her sleeves.

When Haneul's eyes finished roaming Koo Ryeon, she jumped slightly, realizing that the woman was staring back at her.

"Everything fine, Team Leader?" she asked, voice surprisingly steady as she nodded in her hands' direction.

"Nothing you should trouble yourself with," Team leader Koo answered simply, tone definitive. 

Haneul would be lying if she said she didn't like such an order.

°°°

"Haneul, we're leaving," Team Leader Koo announced, rising from her seat in one fell swoop, surprising both Haneul and Mr. Lim.

The latter hurriedly looked over to his phone, only to look back at Koo Ryeon in confusion.

"Junwoong caused trouble," she simply replied, putting on her woollen jacket.

"Again?" he sighed, motioning for Haneul to follow them.

They walked through a dark corridor, then through Jumadeung's lit hall only to stop before an old man wearing a hat. He didn't speak, only handed them keys.

Haneul bowed in thanks while her two team members were crossing the door to the Land of the Living. Face still serious, he bowed back slightly and she smiled at the man. He seemed genuinely nice albeit slightly silent.

Once she had passed the door's threshold, she was shocked to find herself in an alleyway between two shops. The road before them was bursting with life and she felt relief thinking they wouldn't be meeting in such a public area. She didn't know who could be seen and who couldn't and simply thinking about how she should act was making her anxiety sky-rock.

A bit further in the alley, she could see Junwoong seriously talking to the Team Leader, his hands occasionally going to point to his left. Haneul raised a brow at weird sight, thinking he might've picked up a tic or something.

Once close enough, she could hear Koo Ryeon speak, "You're already dead. You should have gone quietly to the afterlife."

Haneul's confusion grew tenfold, looking over to Junwoong. But he wasn't dead, what was Koo Ryeon talking about?

"You ran away, and now you ask for our help?"

"Come on, ma'am, at least hear her out," Junwoong pleaded, hands still pointing to his left.

And so Haneul settled herself besides Lim Ryung-gu and tugged at his sleeve. He angled his head down, waiting for her to speak, his eyes still riveted on the empty space.

"You aren't talking to air, are you?" Haneul whispered, a small nervous chuckle breaking through.

He quickly turned her way. 

"Wha—" he started before abruptly stopping, as if the realization hit him. He angled himself back down and whispered, "We're talking to a soul." 

Haneul shivered, not knowing if it was because of the man's breath on her neck or the idea that ghosts were real. The girl had never particularly feared the occult, but it was rare she was the one not seeing something other could—usually it was the other way around—and she was growing restless.

"Okay," she managed to breathe out shakily.

Her tenseness didn't go unnoticed by Ryung-gu who gently grabbed her shoulders and angled her so she was facing the soul. "I'll let you know where she is, don't worry," he promised while removing his hands from her shoulders. 

She suddenly felt exposed at the sudden lack of contact but managed to relax a little bit. Not trusting her voice, she simply nodded, trying to follow the unusual conversation happening before her.

But she was still just as lost when Junwoong ran away and Mr. Lim called after him.

"Let him go," Team Leader Koo simply spoke, before turning over to face the two new figures.

Haneul recognized instantly one of the two reapers. She wore bangs and carried a tablet. 

Haneul's knees weakened from seeing her so close.

"Ms. Jang Jaehee," Haneul spoke in awe, her voice low and soft.

The reaper turned to her in shock, most likely not expecting to be known by a rookie reaper, even less from a rookie of the Risk Management team.

Haneul raised her hand for a handshake, excitement coursing through her. She was going to touch one of her hallucinations.

Their hands met.

Haneul felt her heart beat quicken and her cheeks tinge pink from the sudden blood rush.

The woman standing in front of her was real. She wouldn't faze through her.

Haneul must've held on for too long because Jaehee was looking over to her coworker, confused, and Joong-il was now standing in front of her as well, his eyes amused, but his face as stoic as ever.

Finally snapping out of it, she cleared her throat before removing her hand from Jaehee's as if it was scalding hot.

What am I even doing? she berated herself, the blush still intense on her cheeks. At least, I suppose the distraction was long enough for Junwoong to find the soul.