Search

°°°

°°°

"They have seen the soul, but don't know where she has gone to, 'sir," Jang Jaehee adressed Joongil.

He didn't seemed particularly surprised. "Koo Ryeon once worked in the Escort Team, she knows exactly what'll happen if she doesn't hand over the soul. Isn't that right, Team Leader Koo?"

"As you can see, I'm in the business of saving people now," she started voice surprisingly steady. Haneul would never have been able to stay so composed under Joongil's piercing gaze. "And she's related to our case, we can't just hand her over."

Haneul watched the altercation, her instincts urging her to turn the tension down when she saw Joongil's tense smile grow on his face. It wasn't the kind of smile that made you warm inside : it made you cold. It would freeze your insides with dread and apprehension.

And just as quickly as it had appeared, the smile disappeared. "How arrogant," he growled, hand latching to Koo Ryeon's neck and slamming her to the wall.

Haneul turn crisped at the sight, paralyzed and slightly trembling.

"I don't remember you being so needlessly chatty," Joongil spoke with anger.

Koo Ryeon breathed in deeply, trying to compose herself and not struggle to much against the hand holding her down. "I only say what needs to be said."

The words ingrained themselves into Haneul's mind and her respect for the pink haired lady grew tenfold.

"If you keep getting in the way, I won't hold back next time," Joongil finally conceded and let Koo Ryeon go, as his anger reached an all time high. 

The needless showcase of power made Haneul's stomach churn as she eyed the pinkish bruise forming on Koo Ryeon neck. She knew Joongil was brash, he was smart and cunning, but he had a tendency to act before thinking. The way he had grabbed her wrist and whisked her away to the Jade Emperor was proof enough.

"Get more people and comb through this area," his low voice vibrated, back to its normal emotionless state.

"Yes, sir," Jaehee and her coworker spoke at the same time before the former turned to look at Haneul. Their eyes met and Jaehee slightly bowed in acknowledgement before leaving the trio behind.

Once they had turned away, Ryung-gu ran over to Koo Ryeon, inquiring on how she was feeling. Haneul bit her lip in shame as her eyes met the Team Leader's neck and she heard her raspy voice answer. 

°°°

"She's dead! You killed her," Junwoong panicked as he paced around the small rooftop apartment.

Haneul resisted the urge to deadpan as she simply replied, "She's a ghost. Of course, she's dead."

Ryung-gu scoffed, amused at Junwoong's confused expression before snapping his fingers together. Junwoong scurried to the bed, hands gripping at air and his worried eyes glancing in the void.

"I hid her from the Escort Team for a moment," Mr. Lim informed the relieved reaper, then his head turned towards what Haneul deduced was the soul. "Can you really save Kang Woojin?"

The soul seemed to be speaking because both of Haneul's teammates were incredibly concentrated and Junwoong's eyes grew tears.

Haneul could simply fidget with her fingers, eyes fixed outside the window trying to make herself as small of a burden as possible. The silence grew heavier with each passing second and Haneul was certain she had never felt as useless as in this moment.

When the three of them and the soul finally left the apartment, the Escort Team along with Team Leader Koo were having a face off.

"Mr. Lim, Haneul, can you hold them off?"

Haneul tensed, but didn't answer. They expected her to fight?

"Of course," Mr. Lim answered in her stead, already taking on an offensive position.

"Long time no see, Ryung-gu. Fancy seeing you here," a long-haired man spoke arrogantly.

Ryung-gu's face turned sour at the disrespect. "Ryung-gu? I'm an assistant manager and you're senior staff, Mr. Lee. Please address me as your senior, I'm offended."

Mr. Lee scoffed. "Get him."

"I doubt you'll want to do that."

And just like that the fight had started. Ryung-gu was punching, pushing, kicking and all Haneul could do was stand and gawk.

With a final two fist move worthy of Mortal Kombat special attack, the four escort team members laid on the floor unmoving. 

Haneul couldn't stop herself from uttering a soft, "Cool."

Ryung-gu didn't acknowledge her awe and instead held out his hand. "Let's go, they'll need me."

As the two were whisked away, Haneul couldn't stop replaying his words.

They'll need me.

Not us,

but me.