0-1.

S.A.V.E.A
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - -
10:15pm
Savea Renee Roger

"Let's run that set again Vea!" Coach B yelled out from the stands.

I nodded grabbing my ball running it again
until the whistle blew.

"That's nice that's nice" Coach B said clapping, i joined him at the stands grabbing my gym bag & school bag.

"You did good kid, you ready to head home?" Coach B said putting his arm around my shoulder as we walked into of the gym.

I nodded digging in my bag for my phone.

I turned it on and checked my messages.
———————————————————————————
3 messages from : Momma❤️.

4 messages from : Jai 🙃.
———————————————————————————

First I texted my mom back and told her Coach B was bringing me home and I made a mental note to text Jai back.

It was a rainy day and the clouds were dark and thick, I laid my head on the window of the car thinking to myself.

I thought about my brother Nairobi, he passed away a year ago. Nairobi was my world and after he died it all came crashing down.

He was shot, he was involved in the streets but he never let that affect his relationship with me and our mom.

Nairobi was always protective over me and caring, when I lost him I felt like I had nobody.

My only goal in this life was to make him and my mama proud. When I lost him I made a vow to him, I'd go D1 in basketball or id make it out of Chicago before the city killed me too.

My mama didn't know it but Nairobi was a hitman, when Nairobi left Jai came around. He was one of Nairobi's closest friends and I knew him very well.

Jai was also involved in the streets & at first I begged him to get out before somebody got to him how they got to Robi but he had a daughter to take care of.

"Alright Vea we here, I'll see you next week. Stay safe kid, alright?" Coach B said to me I nodded and gave him a tight lip smile.

I ran up the steps and grabbed my keys from my bag unlocking the door and locking it again once I shut it.

"Mama I'm here." I said tiredly when turned the corner coming out of her room

"Hey boo, how was practice?" My mama said coming over giving me a slight hug.

"It was ok, I'm tired tho." I said and she nodded

"Oh okay, im going out tonight so make sure you find something to eat ok?" My mom said and I gave her a nod walking to my room.

We stayed in an apartment moving out of our old house after Nairobi died. To many memories that just distracted us and to many people knew where we stayed and my mother feared Nairobi's killers might've had something out for us too.

I shut my door putting my bags down and taking my sweated out hair out of the ponytail, I took off my Nike shirt and Nike pro shorts going into my adjacent bathroom.