one

one. boring stories of glory days

When Nancy woke up, the first thing she heard was the incessant tapping of his fingers against her headboard

When Nancy woke up, the first thing she heard was the incessant tapping of his fingers against her headboard. They were loud against the rattan, and she had to fight every urge she has to push him off the bed completely, not like she'd even be able to.

Ned was next to her like he is most mornings, dirt smudged on his face like always. Once, right after the accident, he likened himself to her guardian angel. She thought he'd gotten to be a bit too full of himself in the afterlife.

"Nance, it's seven already," He said, blue eyes staring at her.

Nancy groaned and rolled to her other side. Instead of the warmth that Ned usually would have provided, it was all cold, like a black hole. "No."

"C'mon Drew," He grinned, a cold wind pulling her hair back over her shoulder. "Wouldn't want to be late to geometry, would we?"

She sat up and looks over, but he was already gone. He did that a lot, Ned-not-Ned lingered in silence waiting to talk to her like he was her therapist. She's had enough of therapy, especially between her mother's death and the accident.

Ned was right though, the clock on her bedside table read 6:55 which meant that she only had 20 minutes to get ready. Doable, but not ideal.

She was dressed in minutes, but while she did her hair at the vanity, she couldn't help but let her eyes drift to the house across the way. Nancy had found herself thinking about Steve Harrington a lot recently, for reasons she wasn't sure of. His house was dark and she wasn't sure the last time she had seen Mr. or Mrs. Harrington, but the light in Steve's room always shined through her window at night.

"Nancy!" Hannah knocked on her door, breaking her trance. "You better be getting ready!"

"Yeah Han!" She sighed, fixing her hair into a manageable bun. "I'll be right down."

She grabbed her backpack from the doorknob and gave her room a quick glance before leaving. If she forgot anything, she would have to have the misfortune of finding out when she got to school.