Chapter 1

Chapter 1

Racing through the kitchen past shouts of orders, and the nasty smell of fried food, I motioned for the chefs and servers to move out of my way. I was looking for one of our servers, I had been searching for Ellie all night. She hadn't attended at least three of her table's, which was causing complaints and arguments from the customers. I was losing money by the minute due to her absence. Being honest she had been on the verge of getting fired multiple times but due to the lack of staff she seemed to have always been left off the hook. That and the fact that she's probably the clumsiest but sweetest waitress we've ever had, making it unlikely for anyone to dislike her.

The most annoying part of this job is the fact that nighttime is the only time that we're busy, which causes all of us to be let off by at least midnight making us exhausted the coming day. Coming back to reality I turned around a corner and stepped into an open room in the restaurant, it was filled with the gross smell of cigars, and a claustrophobic atmosphere that made it quite uncomfortable. I strolled around the large room until I spotted a slither of neatly blond hair styled in a perfect braid, exactly how Ellie wore her hair. Waiting a second I then shouted, "Ellie!" I paused and shouted again, "Ellie, you have four tables! Are you trying to get in trouble?" I added a hint of laughter towards the end. I waited for a response but she didn't reply, walking towards where I saw her hair I started to hear laughter. It seemed she was having a conversation with...I froze, the manager isn't going to like this.

To my realization it was a man, not that bad but still not very good-looking. He was quite average, speaking truthfully. He had dirty blonde hair styled nicely, he was wearing not too fancy but somewhat of a formal outfit, his actions suggested he was all seriousness and no play, and... shaking my head I snapped back to my senses. Noticing that with his features he had the largest amount of annoyance in his face, it took me a second but I realized why. Instead of taking his order and going to finish everyone else's, Ellie was trying to flirt with him. I was in shock, Ellie knew the consequences for being involved in none work things on your shift, if she was caught she'd definitely be fired.

Panicked, I rushed over "Hello sir" I said politely and then continued,"Ellie, are you bought done, you have tables waiting for you." I said it as sternly as possible. She gave me a sad puppy look, I glared back at her. Then whispered something in her ear, she immediately launched her head back at the man and replied "Oh um, may I get your orde-" I cut her off, "Ellie I'll handle him why don't you go serve the other tables." She looked annoyed which is surprising, she's hardly ever been annoyed unless the customers are a really big pain in the butt. I smiled at her cheerfully, and soon she walked away.

I let out a big sigh, confused for myself. I didn't know if it was a sigh of relief or of tiredness. The guy was obviously confused too guessing off of his raised eyebrow, I couldn't tell if it was my sigh or whatever just happened. I lifted my body off the ground standing on my tippy toes, and then stood normally again.

"Alrighty, how can I help you?" I spoke in a happy tune, which sounded pretty fake honestly speaking, but I was too tired to care. After this job I had another one to attend to and that wasn't going to be any better. Waiting for a reply I waved my hand in the air, he seemed to be staring at me and it was uncomfortable. "Sir?" He finally replied with a "Oh, sorry." While telling me what he wanted I nodded my head slowly, it was just him telling me a specific type of wine.

I mean usually people order it with a meal and they're always accompanied by some sort of crowd, but all he wanted was that, and he was sitting by himself.

Interrupting my train of thought he mentioned something else "Oh, I also have another person on their way, is that fine?" I nodded my head. "If that's it I'll be back soon." he responded with him waving his hands in the air as if he was a king and said, "Yes of course." I mentally scoffed, that exact response he gave had been like his mood changed totally, he was just annoyed as hell by Ellie, now he seemed to change his perspective.

I walked away, thinking people are so bleh.