Old school, old friends

A few days ago, at school

I just had handed over my leaving-school-request-letter to the office as I walked into my classroom. Gossip travels faster than fact so, basically, the whole class knew I was moving. My class teacher had also found out before the office had officially informed her. Let me state here that Ms. May isn't a bad sort, at all. She's a sweet and caring teacher and I was honestly a bit sad to leave her, at first.

But the thing is, she does like to think that every child needs Tender Loving Care when they really don't. Kids like Senara, I admit, do need a constant load of TLC- she was from special ed. But I didn't need it, constantly. Maybe sometimes... but I didn't need it just because I was leaving. And I could literally sense the others in my class getting pretty irritated about it. Honestly, I didn't blame them.

Evanna, you look poorly today; is it because of the move? Evy, why don't you lead the line today... you won't be here for long, after all... Evy could you get the chalk from the office today?... Evanna take this note to the office for me... you've always been so helpful; I don't know what I'll do without you. Evanna, this homework is due in two weeks... you won't be here that long!

Evy, Evanna, Evy, Evy, Evanna! I myself had had enough hearing my own name.

My class, grade 9C, had a wide range of girls from innocent and irritating nerds to mean and popular bullies, as any typical class full of 14-year-olds, I'd say. Jamie and I were balancing in the middle. We managed to be friends with the so-called 'nerdy girls' but we were also on understanding terms with the popular ones. I was personally quite lucky to not have been bullied, two years into 'teenagerhood', something else I had very much taken for granted... till this particular week in school, that is.

We were in the middle of Maths with dear old Ms. Peiris when Ms. May walked in and asked to talk to me. "Pi-R squared" was paused and I was called up to the front of the class. I was already having a bad feeling about this. "Evanna," began Ms. May, bending down to my height. (I was a little shorter than the average 14y/o) "The middle school has decided to let you perform in this week's assembly since you won't be here for the Christmas concert... We would love to see you play your guitar... you have been practicing, haven't you?"

Oh no. Jamie was preparing for a dance for the upcoming assembly. She was doing it was Maya and Delia... two popular girls who were also known for being bullies. The three of them were really looking forward to this and rushing off at every free period to practice. They had even gotten new clothes for it. Besides, how did she know I was playing guitar? I never played at school... Oh, right. Gossip. Jamie.

"I don't think that's necessary, Miss... I mean, I'm not good... I'm not confident. I've never performed. And what about Jamie and them? They were going to do their new dance... I really don't want to, Miss. Honestly, miss."

That's when Ms. Peiris pipped in. She was a more senior teacher. Someone you never talked back to.

"Evanna, you must seize an opportunity when you get it. I know you're a talented child but you need to use your talents. They are not for you to hide away. Remember the parable of the talents? You have to enhance what you have been gifted. Otherwise, your talents will be taken away. Jamie's dance can always wait for next time. Do something here to make us proud before you go."

I couldn't say anything after that. It was finalized. Jamie found out in no time. So did Maya and Delia. And you can guess what followed. Jamie gave me the famous cold shoulder and didn't even sit next to me. I ended up with Senara for most pair work and PE games. Being with Senara felt better than being with anyone else at that point because all the girls seemed to be on team J.M.D. The cold stares, the sneering and the whispering was all really painful to bear. No one said anything to my face, but it felt terrible. I don't think I've ever felt so lonely.