Late

“He’s not coming.” Trina sighed.

“He’ll be here! We promise!” Cordelia hugged her friend.

“It’s only 4:26, Trin.” Charlotte laughed.

“But he told me 4:30.” Trina said.

“And It’s not 4:30 yet!” Charlotte quickly replied.

“Mendel will be here. If he isn’t, then you can sue me.” Cordelia said.

Cars roared outside the large window of the coffee shop they were at. The smell of freshly brewed coffee, and a few types of baked goods filled the air. People walked in and out, occasionally glancing at the girls.

Trina anxiously waited for her date to arrive. Cordelia and Charlotte tried to comfort her as best they could, but she was a wreck when Mendel didn’t show up at precisely 4:30.

“Oh my god, he isn’t coming.” Tears welled up in Trina’s eyes.

“The clock just changed to 4:30, there’s still time!” Charlotte tried to comfort her friend.

“Yeah!" Cordelia smiled and rubbed Trina’s back.

Trina quietly smacked her head on the table.

"C’mon, Tree! He probably just lost track of time!” Cordelia said.

Trina lifted her head, tears were streaming down her cheeks. “He probably just doesn’t like me. He stood me up because he doesn’t like me. He probably thinks I’m so stupid, and ugly, and, I don’t know, what, fat?”

“Mendel really likes you, Trina. Just trust me.” Charlotte grabbed her hand.

A few more minutes had passed, and Trina was on the brink of bawling her eyes out.

“He’s not here, and he isn’t gonna be here!" Trina choked back her tears.

“Calm. Down.” Charlotte said.

“Tree, hun, it’ll be ok!” Cordelia followed.

A few people passed the window outside.

“Mendel isn’t coming." Trina continued to sob.

Charlotte and Cordelia tried to comfort her as 30 more minutes passed.

“I think it’s time to go, Trina.” Charlotte stood up.

Trina nodded as she and Cordelia also got up.

Suddenly, Mendel walked into the cafe. He was holding a small bouquet of pink and purple flowers for his date. None of the three women noticed him until he walked up to the now wholly sobbing Trina.

Charlotte turned to see him walk over.

“What gives!” She mouthed, angrily.

Cordelia squinted her eyes at him.

He didn’t answer. Instead, he put a hand on Trina’s back. She was hugging Cordelia, her face buried in her shoulder.

She turned her head to look at him. She quickly removed herself from Cordelia when she realized it was Mendel.

“Trina.” He smiled.

Trina wiped the tears from her face. “H-hi.”

Before Mendel could say anything else, she hugged him. He dropped the flowers and hugged her back. He closed his eyes and held her, realizing he should've been here sooner, because he really liked her.