I

|| "italics" means the speaker is speaking French. ||

    "Pa, I'm heading over to the free library

"Pa, I'm heading over to the free library." m/n said, looking over to his father and placing his hand on the doorknob.
"mm." He hummed, not looking up from the newspaper. m/n sighed.

M/n walked to a 7-Eleven, looking through his bag to make sure he had his wallet. When he confirmed he did, he entered, greeting the store's clerk.
"Morning, M/n." He said, calmly.
"Good morning, Ethan." M/n responded, his accent prominent.
M/n walked over to the dairy section, grabbing a bottle of 2% milk, like always.

"I'm guessing you're headed to the free library?" Ethan questioned, scanning the bottle.
"Mhm. How's Nova?" He asked, reaching for his wallet.
"Oh, haha, she's great. Their family came to visit us the other day. I don't think their cousins like me very much, but she says they're just being friendly." He nervously laughed.
M/n smiled.
"Well, I'll see you later, Ethan. Have a nice day."
"You too, mister bookworm."

--

--

M/n walked over to the free library. Taking a book from the box and walking over to a vacant area.
The book was short, however, quite enjoyable. When he finished reading, m/n set the book down, took a sip from his milk, and grabbed the nail polish from his bag. He painted his nails, the colours altering from pink to black.
As he finished, he heard music play from behind a blocked off wooden fence. There were no gaps between the wood, however there was a gap between the bottom of the fence and the grass. Hearing a person start to hum to the music, m/n smiled.
He knocked on the fence after his nails were all dry, and set his bag down beside him.

"Helloe?" A very posh voice called out. M/n heard the person walk over to the fence and sit down.
"Hi." He spoke out, to which the person audibly flinched.
"Are you ghost?? AM I GONNA HAVE TO FIGHT YOU?!" They sounded panicked.
M/n giggled, reaching for his nail polish.
"Can I paint your nails?"

"Oh, uh, sure!" They responded, less panicked.
"Here, give me your hand." He said, placing his hand on the other side of the fence to take the other person's hand. They complied. He began with the black first, painting every other nail on the person's right hand.
"I hope you don't mind, I'm using black and pink."
"Are you French?"
M/n was caught off guard by the sudden eager question, but then giggled.
"Mhm. I moved to the UK three years ago." He answered.
"Oh, that's cool. I've lived here my whole life."
"What's your name?" M/n asked, trying to avoid awkward silence.
"Tom. Tom Simons. You?" They stated.
"m/n l/n. Pleased to make your acquaintance, Tommy."
The stranger laughed. Their laugh was warm, it was nice.
"What are your, uh, pronouns?" Tommy asked.
"He/him, and you?" M/n responded, letting go of Tom's hand to grab the pink nail polish.
"Same!" He responded. "Oh, are your nails painted, too?"
M/n smiled. "Mhm. We match. So, do you live here? Next to the park?"
"Yeah, it's nice, not many neighbours so not as many noise complaints, hah." He responded, to which m/n slightly cringed from the word 'noise'.
"How old are you? He asked, almost finished with the boy's nails.
"17, but I'll be 18 in a couple months!" Tommy cheered, causing a smile to spread across m/n's face.
"I turned 17 a few months ago, so we're only a year apart." He said, finishing the last nail on Tom's right hand.
"Tada! magnifique!" He stated. Tom brought his hand back to look at it. His nails were flawless, truly yassified.
"Hell yeah! That's so cool, man!" He praised.
M/n smiled, slightly blushing.
"Now give me your other hand." He said, and Tom obeyed. But just as m/n placed Tommy's palm in his, he got a call. From his dad.
"Oh, sorry. I have to take this, it's my dad." He said, letting go of the other's hand, and somewhat missing the warmth. "Of course, take your time, man!" "Thanks, Tommy."

He answered, setting down the nail polish. "bonjour?" He spoke, softly. Tom listened, he found the boy's voice calming.
"It's gonna get dark soon, you should start heading home." His father said. M/n frowned.
Tom assumed that his new friend would have to go home, as he heard a sigh come from the other side of the fence. Though, he didn't understand a single word that came from the call, so he still had hopes that m/n could stay longer.
"Okay, I'll start heading that way. See you in a bit, papa. I love you." He responded, smiling. "I love you too, honeybee."

"Hey, I've got to go home, my dad says it's getting dark." M/n said. Tom frowned. "Will I see you tomorrow?" He asked, hopeful.
"If you want." He responded, the smile audible in his voice. He put his things into his bag and grabbed his almost empty milk bottle. "Make sure not to smudge your nails, I'll come back around this time to finish them. Bye bye, Tommy!"

'Hm, he was nice. Maybe tomorrow I can ask for his number and find out what he looks like. Aaaa, I have to tell Wilbur about this!' Tommy thought, getting up and going inside with a smile.

 Aaaa, I have to tell Wilbur about this!' Tommy thought, getting up and going inside with a smile

[ 920 words ]