The Compromised Duchess-9

Chapter Nine

The carriage moved briskly up the driveway of Trevelyan House and pulled to a stop close to the front doors. Lord Giles hopped down and gently picked Laurel, still unconscious and strode quickly through the door that was hurriedly opened by an alarmed butler.

“Inform Her Grace that there has been an accident,” Giles instructed curtly “then please send for a physician at once”

“Very good Your lordship,” George replied, turning to lead the way to lady Laurel`s chambers. “The lady’s rooms are this way, I believe her maid is in there.”

George snagged a passing footman and gave instructions to have hot water brought up immediately, and to fetch the doctor, then he walked ahead of Lord Giles and threw open the doors leading to Laurel`s bedchamber.

Giles gently placed Laurel on the bed and stepped back respectfully. Agatha gave a cry of dismay and hurried to her mistress` side.

“Oh lawd!” she exclaimed, placing a hand on Laurel`s forehead, then quickly began unfastening the buttons that lined the front of the gown. “what happened to her ladyship?”

“Do what you can for her until the doctor arrives,” Giles replied feeling an uncomfortable surge of desire as the lady was being undressed. He backed out of the room hurriedly only to bump into Lady Abbington who rushed in with a cry of alarm, George in tow.

“My dearest girl! What on earth happened to her?” She exclaimed ,pushing the maid out of the way to cradle her daughter`s head in her arms. “Well?” She glared at Lord Giles, “Have you lost the use of your tongue? Say something”

“We went for a walk Your Grace,” Giles replied, angered at the Duchess’s tone, “She must have wandered too close to the edge of the river, lost her balance and fell.”

“I entrust her to your care for one afternoon and this is how you bring her home?” The duchess snapped, rising from the bed, still glaring at him. “I must say I am extremely disappointed, Rosehaven”

“Forgive me Your Grace,” Giles said softly, “it was a grievous error on my part, one I deeply regret”

Lady Abbington dismissed him with a slight wave, and turned to George. “Has the doctor been sent for?”

“Yes, Your Grace” George replied, “He is on his way here as we speak”

“Good,”

The door opened and Mrs. Rivers, the housekeeper entered, followed by five maids carrying steaming buckets of water and a huge tin bath. The housekeeper bustled about supervising the preparation for the bath, and Lord Giles took it as his cue to withdraw discreetly.

He passed a balding middle aged gentleman in the hall who bowed stiffly and murmured something unintelligible. Giles presumed he was the physician and silently prayed that the lady would be alright.

He shivered. In all the confusion, he had quite forgotten that he too had been in the cursed river, and now, his damp clothes caused cold shivers to run down his entire body. He hurried into his carriage and used the blanket to wrap around himself. The sound of hoof beats informed him that another carriage was coming up the driveway and he peered around his own, brows scrunching together in a frown when he noticed the carriage bore the St. Crye coat of arms. Damn the man, couldn’t he stay out of his life?

The carriage pulled up alongside his and Thomas alighted, giving his arm to the countess. Giles` displeasure deepened at the apparent intimacy between the two of them.