September 1870.

this precious night, lit by lamplight is, at least, enough.

As the month dwindles down to the last few days, the palace sparks with a happy fire, glowing brightly from all the court residents that anticipate merry Chuseok festivities

As the month dwindles down to the last few days, the palace sparks with a happy fire, glowing brightly from all the court residents that anticipate merry Chuseok festivities. For the duration of the night, at least, troubles can be temporarily set aside, and trade flourishes in the name of celebration. But on this occasion, there is an additional reason for the cheerful atmosphere within the palace.

And you are infinitely lucky that the reason is not news of jeonha's impending marriage.

"Preparations for the reduced banquet tomorrow are completed, jeonha! And we have received no further information of movements from the East."

On his throne, the king receives the final reports of the night with a satisfied nod. "Then you are dismissed."

"Yes, jeonha!"

Currently, you stand outside the audience room in wait for your king, holding your hands close to your chest as you silently thank the heavens that there promises to be some peace. For the last few months, the rumored marriage and all talks of that kind were forced to give way to the threat of invasion. Tensions with the neighbouring countries have always remained fraught but lately, shifting political landscapes within those countries' own ranks always seem to manifest in some outlandish plans to prove their military might by attempting to seize Joseon. Your king was ready for them this time though. By now, experience has refined his instincts.

(And... selfishly, you are glad it has bought you some more precious time. Delayed the proceedings, but not indefinitely. Never indefinitely.)

The opening of the door startles you out of your thoughts, making your head snap up. But it is only the very man you've been so eager to see; you receive him with a smile.

"To my rooms?" He asks, softly mirroring your grin.

"Anywhere you wish, jeonha."

Side by side, you cross the grounds, you burying your hands in the bundle of fabric you clutch to stave off the chill from the wind.

He doesn't touch you, but you can feel his heat as he leans in closer and lightly lifts his chin to indicate what's caught his curiosity. "What is that you're holding?"

"A surprise," you hum, knowing he'll forgive your playing coy soon enough.

His innermost bedroom is already warm when you walk inside, no doubt a courtesy of the ever-attentive head eunuch.

"Allow me a few minutes?"

"Not too long," he says casually, beginning to undo his belt.

"It won't, I promise." You clutch the fabric and slide behind the partition screen, leaving only your head unhidden as you watch him take a seat on the bed.