Little Eldritch Lights

Stanley Pines just finished his final tour of the day. He walked through the hidden door behind the vending machine, descending into the basement. Maybe today would be the day he'd finally complete the portal. The day he'd get his brother back. He got to the bottom floor, but before he could even enter the lab he heard an odd rustling noise along with the sound of a glass beaker hitting the floor and shattering.

He grabbed the bat he kept near the entrance, just in case this intruder is dangerous. When he finally got into the lab he couldn't see anyone. The only evidence someone had been there was the glass jar shattered on the floor. He lowered his bat when he couldn't see anyone, hoping that it was just a draft. He walked around the lab, looking for anything that could explain why the glass fell. During his search, he felt something behind him. In a swift motion, he turned around and readied his bat to strike the intruder.

Before he could attack he saw who, or rather what, he was attacking. It looked like a little orb of yellow light as small as a quarter. The light flinched and fled towards the far wall. He could somehow feel the fear inside of the thing. A dark blue light appeared from somewhere around him and flew in front of the yellow one in what appeared to be an attempt to defend the other. The blue light also radiated feelings of fear, though bravery shone through.

Stan lowered the bat and placed it on the ground. He didn't know how but he could tell that they were young. "Don't worry," he calmly said, "I'm not going to hurt you two." He could feel their apprehension like it was his own, but not at the same time. "You're kids, right? Why are you here?" he asked, trying to keep his voice low and soothing. He'd never been the best with kids.

In his mind, he heard 'We don't know...' Maybe they can't speak? It did feel a bit weird to know that they were in his head.

"Where are your parents?" he asked. He then felt a wave of sadness and confusion wash over him emanating from the two lights. "Do you know how you two got here?" He only felt their emotions spike. Did they not know where their parents were? This left him with a problem. What does he do with them now? For a moment he considered just kicking them out and calling it a day but quickly rejected that idea. He thought back to how it felt like when his dad kicked him out and didn't want to do that to someone else, even if those someone else's were little eldritch lights. 

Sighing, he turned towards them knowing he was going to regret this, "Fine, you two can stay here for the night but I want you out by morning," he said, not really meaning it. He could immediately sense their joy at having a place to stay, "And do me a favor and put a dimmer on that light," he asked them. It's starting to hurt his eyes. They made a motion that seemed like they were turning towards each other which lasted for a little too long to be comfortable. Stan started feeling nervous thinking he said something offensive.

He was about to correct himself when the yellow light dimmed showing a yellow star with a rainbow bow behind them. The star had little black sticks like arms and legs. Its eye was closed and its arms were close to her in something that looked like strain. When it noticed it dimmed it turned towards the other and began to move its arms around like it was explaining something. The other repeated the same motion revealing a blue geometric pine tree with its eyes closed. Unlike its counterpart even after relaxing it kept its eyes closed.

Stan relaxed when he realized he hadn't offended them. "Follow me," he told them, "And don't touch anything." The little star-shaped one went over to the nearest pipe and while staring him in the eye put their hand on it. Stan pinched his brow, already regretting letting them stay. He looked back as he started to wonder if it was too late to kick them out when the blue one meekly moved towards the other and put their hand on the pipe as well. Stan had to remind himself that these were kids and just walked away and said, "Either follow me or you're staying here." That got them moving. They didn't seem to like this room, more specifically the portal. Is that how they got here?

Questions for later Stan decided. They don't seem to be able to talk and I would rather not run the risk of them becoming scared of me. As far as he knows they might be the best chance at him understanding where Ford went and hopefully find him. He feels guilty using the kids to find his brother but he repressed those feelings. It wasn't like he was planning to hurt them, either way, he'd gone too far to turn back now.

He led the kids to the attic bedroom. No one's used it in years so it's a bit dusty but he doesn't expect them to mind. There are two beds up there set up from when Ford lived here. He always assumed it was a guest bedroom and never bothered to change it. He led them up to the room and quickly noticed there were no pillows or blankets anywhere.

"Take whichever bed you both want," Stan said as he left to get a set of blankets and pillows. When he returned he saw them both jumping on the bed. They were so small though. They barely moved the bedsprings at all yet they were somehow able to get impressively high in the air. Stan walked over towards them and dropped the blankets for them. They both stopped and looked at them as if they had no clue what it was. He opened it and showed them under it. "It's a blanket. You go inside and it's warm underneath." The star one examined it while the pine tree stayed weary. Stan got tired of waiting for them and dropped the blanket on the star. The blue one panicked as though he expected to never see the other one again.

The star one popped out from under the blanket and rushed towards the pine tree to hug them which the other one quickly returned. When they calmed down the star led the pine tree under the blanket. They started moving around under the blanket. Stan watched them for a moment and walked away. "Remember out by morning!" he called behind him though he doubted either of them heard.