craven

cra·ven
/ˈkrāvən/

adjective
: contemptibly lacking in courage; cowardly.

noun
: a cowardly person.

Source: Oxford Languages

You are the oxygen that feeds my lungs

You are the oxygen that feeds my lungs. Allured by your cheeky smile that reaches your eyes like an arch of rainbow behind the iridescent clouds, I breathe butterflies reborn from its chrysalises.

This coward heart filled with doubts, untrusting, and weak receives whispers that persistently tries to permeate built walls: do not let it get to you, little one.

Yet, this craven gemstone of mine that pumps in a rhythm of viscous droplets, hidden beneath a treasured chest, and locked in what seems to be a jail of ribcage which intention simply protects—only yearns a time, a moment, in a morning café, with shared milk and cookies with no one else but you.

₊˚ʚ ᗢ₊˚✧ ゚.

I do not own the photos used. All gratefully credits to the wonderful owners.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

CRAVEN
©2022 by Zeicara Saerin

All Rights Reserved.
This literary work, or parts thereof, may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without permission of the author except for brief quotations in a review.

𓆩ꨄ︎𓆪  Dedicated to 𓆩ꨄ︎𓆪

The ones with feeble hearts; longing, though distrustful of the world; terrified to the death of the once shattered soul. Hold on, stay hopeful, be courageous for love — as love itself is a beautiful place to dwell.

₊˚ʚ ᗢ₊˚✧ ゚.

I have been reluctant to post my poems, but here it is, I guess now is the time. My literature professor was indeed right. Haiku is addicting, lol. Anyway, I still hope you'll take your time to read and enjoy these poems to your heart's content. Stay hydrated and safe!

With love always,
aerin