Chapter 3

Birds chirping and the feeling of my face being caressed by the sun wakes me up. Opening my eyes the rays of sunlight beam through the branches and create a spectacular sight in front of me.

The feeling of the soft ground underneath me alerts me to sit up slowly. I rub my eyes and look at my surroundings.

I groan loudly. I'm never smoking that shit again. I look at my clothes and see that I'm covered in dirt. My t-shirt and jeans are torn in various places.

I asked the dealer to give so strong weed to make me pass not. Not the shit that makes me hallucinate.

What the fuck was I hallucinating about this time?

Did I seriously walk to my favorite Oak tree? I sigh The Subconscious Mind.

I stand up slowly. I yawn and stretch again. I dust off some dirt and slowly start making my way home.

While walking I see the damaged bushes I fell into and groan again.

Nevaeh honey you need to stop.

As I'm walking a pawprint catches my attention.

What the Hell?

Is that a wolf pawprint?

A Wolf?!

I need to take a photo of this. SHIT! I don't have my phone.

Wolves on this side of Maine? SilverOaks is not anywhere near the border and if there's a stray lone wolf around. How the hell am I still alive?

Neaveh stop asking questions and get your ass home.

After cleaning myself up and making myself Sunday lunch.

I plate up some food and sit in front of the couch.

I switch on the tv and get a bit teary-eyed.

No one to share this meal with.

I reach for my phone and look at the date on the screen.

Sighing I toss it on my couch and stab my fork into a piece of meat and take a bite while zoning out.

~~~~~
A month later

Sweat dripped down my face and thoroughly exhausted from lubricating the paper machines. I'm on my way to clock out.

I smile at my colleagues and wave goodbye. Things have been getting better and they don't question my work anymore so my job is finally enjoyable.

However, I think my colleagues think of me as closed off or rude because I don't interact much with anyone. I get invited to barbeques and parties.
I kindly decline.

I don't do barbeques. I don't do parties. I don't do people.

Actually No! People don't do me.

"Nevaeh! I see it's a special weekend for you. I hope you enjoy it. Is your family coming to town to celebrate?" My supervisor Wesley asks.

I feel a lump in my throat and my vision starts to blur but I blink the tears away. I smile weakly and shake my head.

"Unfortunately no. They can't make it."

He sadly nods in understanding however he smiles widely.

"My wife Cara and I and some friends are going to the beach tomorrow for a barbeque. Why don't you come to join us? You can't be spending your..."

I shake my head, "oh no thanks it's okay. I'm going to Portland tomorrow."

I lie and his brows furrow.