part 1

It was the day of the big championship game. The entire school, or at least most of it, was stoked. Hawkins High hadn't won a championship in ages, but this year was going to be different. The basketball team was amazing, the band was awesome, and the cheerleaders were impeccable. You were biased though, being a cheerleader yourself. But you knew how hard you and the rest of the cheer squad had worked on all the routines and you just had a good feeling about this game.

While you may have been in high spirits, your best friend Chrissy Cunningham wasn't doing very well. She had been telling you for the past few days how bad she had been feeling and the horrible headaches she was getting. You knew she was taking tylenols but they weren't helping. And nothing would help with her nightmares. You offered to spend the night with her whenever they first began but she declined, not wanting to bother you. You really didn't mind, you just wanted your friend to be okay.

"Chrissy?" you asked, waiting outside the bathroom stall. You were walking down the hall with her when she rushed into the bathroom and promptly locked herself in a stall. She didn't answer but you could hear her gagging and sniffling. The door to the bathroom opened and you saw a redhead walk into the bathroom with headphones around her neck. You had seen her around before but couldn't remember her name. You smiled awkwardly at her while Chrissy continued to barf in the stall.

"Is she okay?" the redhead asked.

"Um- no not really," you said.

You heard some shuffling in the stall and then heard Chrissy say, "Who is it?"

You looked at the girl and waited for her to say her name. "Oh it's- it's Max. Max Mayfield."

Max. You had heard of her before. She was Billy Hargroves little sister. You didn't know him very well, just what everyone said about him and how he died in the mall fire last year.

Chrissy heard Max say what her name was, and you guessed that Chrissy didn't care since she didn't reply. Or at least you thought she wasn't but after a very guttural sounding puke she said, "Could you please leave?"

You looked at Max expectantly. Usually you wouldn't tell people to leave the bathroom but you knew your friend was struggling and probably embarrassed. She nodded and started walking out the door and you followed. "I'm going to get some water Chrissy, okay? I'll be back in a minute."

You and Max walked out into the hall. She lingered for a second and appeared like she wanted to ask you something. She didn't though, and instead just gave you a small smile and walked off. You went to the vending machine down the hallway and stuck some quarters in it. Clink, clink, clink. They fell to the bottom of the slot. You pressed C1 for water and watched as the metal swirls let the bottle drop down to the opening at the bottom of the vending machine. You pushed open the piece to get the water and started heading back to the bathroom.

It was silent. You tilted yourself down just a little and saw that Chrissy was still in the stall, but she wasn't moving or making any noise. "Chrissy?" you asked.

No answer. "Chrissy?" You shifted your weight back and forth between your feet. "Chrissy, are you okay in there?" you repeated one more time. Still no answer. You checked to make sure the other stalls were empty before going into the stall next to hers and getting on your hands and knees. The floor was absolutely disgusting but that didn't matter right then. You crawled under the stall and into Chrissy's.

She was sitting there, totally unmoving other than her eyes. Her eyelids were twitching and all you could see was the white part of her eyeballs. "Chrissy!" you exclaimed. You waved your hand in front of her face but she didn't seem aware, or present at all. You grabbed a hold of her shoulders and shook her. You were starting to panic. In a situation like that you had no idea what to do. Was she having a seizure? Was she in shock? You had no idea.