part 10

The sky above you was getting darker and darker as it was nearing nighttime. The eight of you had been walking for almost two hours according to Dustin. One bright side of the situation- other than Eddie- was how toned your legs were going to be from all the walking you had done. The bottoms of your Nikes were covered in dirt and it felt as if you had worn the soles off of them in the past day. You were sweating so much that you had to tie your jacket around your waist. It was a little chilly since the sun had gone down, but the extra layer was killing you.

It was clear that everyone was tired and miserable. Everyone walked with heavy steps and were too over it to watch where they were going. On more than one occasion you, Eddie, Max, and Robin had tripped. Dustin had also tripped, but his reason was out of eagerness. Nancy hadn't tripped. She didn't seem like the type of girl that ever did stumble. You didn't know Nancy personally, but you had passed by her in school and she always seemed so put together.

Mosquitos swarmed around your sweaty bodies, thirsty for teenage blood. Everyone was groaning and griping while they swatted them away and itched at the spots they couldn't get the bugs away from. You were ninety percent sure you got bit right in between your eyes, but when you asked Eddie he said he couldn't be sure.

About halfway through the walk Eddie had gathered his hair at the back of his head in a ponytail. His hair had been sticking to his neck and it was getting on his nerves and making him sweat more. You had searched your backpack for a hair tie but you didn't have any on you. Of all things to bring, you forgot that.

You weren't sure where you were at. The woods looked the same no matter how far you had gone. Dustin had been holding the compass the entire time, leading the rest of the group. No one knew where it was leading location-wise, but Dustin was sure that it was leading to a gate into the Upside Down. After you guys found it you weren't sure what the plan was. What if you did find the gate? Were they going to get in it and go to this other dimension? That would be insane.

You were just about to ask Dustin how much further he thought the gate was whenever he suddenly started running. "Hey- Dustin-" He wasn't paying any attention to you and you had to sprint to keep up with him, jumping over limbs and other forest debris that could potentially sprain an ankle.

"Dustin? Dustin can you please slow down?" Eddie called. He was right behind you, tailed by Steve, Nancy, Max, and Lucas.

The boy wasn't listening, just looking down at his compass. You faintly heard him say, "Something's happening," before he started running again. "I think we're close!" Not a moment later he broke the treeline, and there in front of you was a body of water.

Dustin wasn't watching his step and a second before he fell into the water Eddie stepped beside him and grabbed him. "Watch your step big guy," he said, looking out at the dark water that stretched out in front of you.

You heard leaves rustling and panting as the rest of the group filled in. They had been behind you, Eddie, and Dustin, who had been talking on and off the entire walk. "Oh man. You gotta be shitting me," Steve breathed out.

"Yeah..." Eddie said, looking around skeptically. "I thought these woods were familiar."

"Lover's Lake," you said quietly. After all that walking you had ended up back at the lake. Just last night you and Eddie had been in the boat and witnessed Patrick die. A shiver went down your spine, slightly raising goosebumps on your arms even though you were overheating.

Henderson stared out, looking around absolutely dumb-founded. "This is confounding."

"There's a gate in Lover's Lake?" Max asked. Her eyebrows were drawn together in confusion as she glanced at Lucas, then you, then Dustin, then Steve and Nancy.