Sweet Love

Ram lay on the couch with his head rested on Priya's lap. She was engrossed in reading a book titled 'The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime'. He could hear her humming a soft tune of her favourite song simultaneously. He poked her in the arm to get her attention. She kept aside the book and looked at him in anticipation. He sat back on the couch facing her and took her hands in his. He brought it to his lips and placed a kiss on each palm.

Priya turned bashful at his actions and looked away. Both were still new to any sort of intimacy. But slowly and steadily, Ram took baby steps towards her, hoping she would reciprocate. Ram tilted her chin toward him to gaze into her eyes. They were a soft brown with a hint of black. He'd read somewhere that the eyes were the door to one's soul. Wherever words fell short, the eyes made up for it. And all he could see in Priya's eyes were her unwavering affection for him. He studied her face and his eyes travelled to her lips and remained focused there. It didn't go unnoticed by Priya. Although she was apprehensive about getting intimate with him, she decided on being bold for once. She tilted forward and didn't miss the surprise that crossed Ram's face. However, he recovered quickly and inched his face closer to hers. Their lips were inches apart when he whispered, "If you don't want to, we can stop."

That's all that was needed for Priya to renew her resolve. He respected her enough to ask her for consent before kissing her. She shook her head, gesturing for him to continue. He smiled at her and brought his lips to hers.

Priya was surprised at how gentle Ram's lips were. He held her delicately like a fragile doll as if she would shatter upon touch. Their kiss was soft and passionate. Ram slid his arms around her waist and inched her closer. She in turn weaved her hands in his hair, caressing them gently.

Priya felt the whole damn zoo in her stomach. Her legs turned to jelly. She kissed him like there was no tomorrow. He tasted like home. And a hint of whiskey. She tugged at his hair softly and weaved her hands through his soft locks. She cupped his face and kissed him harder. All the frustrations, betrayals and curses life had thrown at her seemed insignificant at this moment. Ram made her forget her flaws. He made her forget her past. He made her feel beautiful, something that she hadn't felt in a very long time.

Ram, on the other hand, was ecstatic. He'd finally managed to win her over after eight months of marriage. He had finally gathered enough courage to ask her for permission to kiss her. And she had gladly obliged. Her lips gave him a sense of familiarity. They tasted like cherries, with a hint of peppermint. They fit in perfectly with his. Their mouths moved in perfect synchronisation.

Their tongues met and all hell broke loose. Ram couldn't get enough of her. He gathered her in his arms and kissed her passionately. All their problems, insecurities and arguments seemed so very insignificant. It had all come down to one kiss. They broke apart after a few minutes as they ran short of breath. Priya seemed to avoid his eyes and Ram realised that she was shy. He tilted her face toward him and said, "Priya, I don't think I can ever stop kissing you. Ever again." Priya turned red at his words and tried to break free from him but Ram would have none of it. He'd finally shed her of her insecurities and no chance in hell was he going to let her go back there again.

Ram cupped her face, pushing behind her long tresses and said, "You're beautiful. Inside and out. And no one would ever look at you the way I would. That is a promise." Priya welled up at his words and looked into his eyes. She could see the sincerity behind his words. She could see the love that she craved forever. She could see the care and concern that she had always wished for. And it made her feel whole.

Ever since she had married Ram, her life had become nothing short of a fairy tale. And he was her Prince Charming. And for the first time ever, she felt like a Princess.