Soaring Skies

Ram felt nauseous. He'd travelled by air plenty of times but he usually popped a sleeping pill before takeoff. He didn't know what, but there was something about air travel that made him feel restless and uncomfortable. But this time was different. And the sole reason was the woman sitting beside him. Priya. It was going to be Priya's first air travel and he wanted to be there for her in case she got nervous or frightened. Truth be told, he just wanted a reason to hold her hand. He was a little too filmy that way.

They'd been married for three months now. Although the awkwardness still lingered, they'd grown quite comfortable with each other. Now, Ram didn't have to think twice before approaching her or making a conversation with her. Priya, on the other hand, had got quite used to Ram's affection. He was overly generous with his hugs. He'd sometimes hug Priya out of the blue, taking her by complete surprise. Safe to say, they'd grown on each other quite a lot.

Ram and Priya had decided to take a small vacation to Mauritius. Although Ram had insisted on them travelling first class, Priya completely ignored his insistence. 'No, Ram. It's a complete waste of money. Whether we travel by economy or first class, our destination is ultimately the same', she had said. Those instances were rare where Priya called him by his name instead of Mr Kapoor. So, he ultimately gave in to the idea of travelling in the economy class.

He had offered Priya the window seat in the hopes that she would enjoy the view from up top. That and also the fact that he was acrophobic. He sat next to her with his seatbelt fastened. A man sat beside him, holding an infant in his arms. Ram expected her to be nervous, at the very least. But, by the looks of her, she seemed rather fascinated by everything instead of nervous. She looked all around the aircraft, taking in all the tiny details. On the other hand, Ram was a whole different story. He seemed extremely fidgety and restless. He kept on squirming in his seat. Priya noticed his nervousness and asked, "Are you alright, Mr Kapoor?" Although Ram assured her that he was completely fine, he was anything but.

The flight was ready for takeoff. Ram closed his eyes and gripped the armrests tightly. The aircraft made its way to the runway. Ram's face paled as the aircraft gained speed. His knuckles turned a deathly white. Priya placed her hand over his and his grip over the armrest loosened. He opened his eyes and looked at her. She had a soft smile on her face. A smile of assurance. She linked her fingers with his and drew small circles at the back of his thumb to comfort him.

The worry lines on Ram's forehead eventually ceased. He mouthed a small thank you to her and she nodded in response.

After a good ten minutes, the seatbelt sign went off. Ram unfastened his seatbelt and drew long breaths of air. Priya giggled at his antics. Now that he seemed fine, she tried to draw back her hand but Ram wouldn't let go. She looked at him expecting some sort of nervousness but instead, she witnessed Ram grinning cheekily at her. She raised an eyebrow at him expectantly and he just smiled, shaking his head.

Priya looked through the glass window and the view outside left her spellbound. They were so high up in the air that she could see the clouds below her. The sky was a pretty blue and the sun rays reflecting on the window made it appear all the more magical. 'Beautiful, isn't it?' Priya was startled by Ram's sudden interruption. She turned to face him and their noses bumped. The proximity did something to her insides. 'Yeah, the sky looks very pretty. I can see the clouds from up here', she said. Ram replied, "As cheesy as it sounds, I wasn't referring to the sky. I was referring to you. You are beautiful. Like the sky. You are pure. Like the clouds." Priya wasn't used to people complimenting her, but Ram had always praised her. Not only for her looks but for the person she was. He never took her for granted. And neither did she.

Priya inched forward and placed a small kiss on his cheek and whispered a thank you. Her sudden act had left Ram shocked. He recovered quickly and grinned at her and forwarded his other cheek as well. Priya shook her head in mirth and placed a kiss on his other cheek. Ram, deciding to try out his luck again forwarded his lips. Priya turned bright red and slapped his arm lightly and reprimanded him, "Mr Kapoor, control yourself. We're in an aircraft full of passengers." Ram replied to her, "You didn't mind the first two times." She raised an eyebrow at him and said, "Fine, no more kisses for you then." Ram leaned forward, kissed her on the cheek and said, "But I can do this no?" Priya looked at him in shock, her mouth hanging open while Ram crossed his arms, a huge grin plastered across his face. Priya turned away from him to hide the blush on her face. Ram leaned in and whispered in her ear, "That's how it's done, honey." Priya was startled by the endearment Ram had used. No one had ever associated the word 'honey' with her. She was called many things, but never honey. She looked at him with gratitude in her eyes. Ram squeezed her hand, assuring her.

Their moment was interrupted by the loud cries of the infant beside them. Ram looked over and saw the father trying to console the child, but the cries only grew louder with each passing second.

Ram barely had any experience with kids. Even with Shivina and Shubham, he was rarely allowed near them, courtesy of his stepmom. Although Ram was a bit skeptical about handling a child, an infant no less, he asked the father if he could hold the child for a while. He deposited the child in Ram's arms, thanked him and dozed off out of exhaustion. Ram and Priya chuckled at that. Ram cradled the baby girl and rocked her in his arms. Her cries subsided slowly and she fell asleep in his arms. Ram's face had a look of pure contentment and happiness. He traced the baby's cheek with his index finger and placed a small kiss on her forehead. Priya's heart was full upon witnessing this. 'You're good with kids. You'd make an excellent father, Mr Kapoor." Ram looked over to Priya, smiled and said, "Thank you."