CHAPTER SEVEN - Treachery and Injustice

Padmé took off running, which was quite difficult in her heavy senate robes. Where would she even go? If she could lock the clones out of Palpatine's office somehow... Unfortunately, she was halfway down the hallway when she caught sight of three clones patrolling nearby. She hurried into the nearest conference room and pressed a button to shut the door behind her. She needed a new plan and fast.

Escape was probably her only option. If she were caught, there would be no bringing evidence before the Senate. She'd be imprisoned...or killed. She reached into her robes for her comlink.

"Senator Organa," she whispered. "Come in, Senator Organa. Please. This is Senator Amidala. Please come in." Padmé hurried to hide under a desk in case the clones came in looking for her. "Come in, Senator Organa. This is Senator Amidala."

There was a brief moment of static, then Organa's voice came through loud and clear. "Senator Amidala."

She sighed with relief. "Senator, I'm trapped in the senate building. Clones are surrounding the place, and now they're looking for me. I've been unable to procure the security footage."

"I am currently on my way to the office building," Organa replied. "I fear there isn't much I can do unless you can find a way out of there."

Padmé sighed. "I will find a way out, but...I shouldn't have called you, Senator. I will find a way to escape. Don't come."

"But, my lady—"

"Do not come, Senator. I will be fine on my own. We cannot both have a target on our backs. We need someone to be there at the session."

"Very well, milady. Though I hope you know what you're doing."

"I do," Padmé said gravely. "I do." She turned off her comlink and whispered for R2 to come over to her. "Wait in here. When you know they've taken me, go to the Chancellor's office and get the footage if you can. Please, Artoo, you're our only hope."

R2 beeped in protest.

"Shh. They'll hear you. There's no time to argue, Artoo," Padmé whispered fervently. "Do you still have your comlink?"

R2 opened a port and pulled out the comlink with a mechanical arm of sorts.

"Thank the Force," Padmé laid a gentle hand on him. "Listen on that. When I'm captured, get the footage and get to the Alderaan delegation's repulsorpod."

R2 beeped forlornly at Padmé's sad face, and she quickly forced a smile. "I'm sure I'll be able to talk my way out of this one," she said comfortingly. She patted R2 on the head, then hurried out from under the table and pressed the button to open the door, clutching her comlink.

She was met immediately with four clones.

"Senator, you are under arrest. You will be brought before the Vice Chair for questioning."

Padmé held her hands up in surrender, and the clones nudged her forward, forcing her to walk in front of them with her hands still up. She hoped R2 would succeed in the task she'd set out for him. After years of seeing him in action, she had faith in the little droid. She needed now to have faith in the Force and in herself.

The little blue and white astromech droid waited in silence, scanning periodically to see if the clones were out of his path. Luckily, most of them had been caught up in catching Padmé, so his path was pretty clear. He put away his comlink and glided towards the door.

He continued to glide down the hallway, but when he was close to the heart of the building, he heard a couple of clones talking about the rogue senator. He tried to turn around, not wanting any part of that, but it was too late. The clones had seen him.