CHAPTER ELEVEN - Refuge

"Senator Organa, I'm so glad you could see me," Mas Amedda sat at his desk, his hands folded in front of him.

"Of course, Your Excellency. I only wish I could be of more assistance in these troubling times," Organa sat down in one of two chairs across from Amedda.

"There is, in fact, something you can do," Amedda's voice had an edge to it that made Organa uncomfortable. "Tell me, Senator, you were closer to Senator Amidala than anyone. Did she have any plans with the Jedi?"

"Not that I know of."

Amedda smiled. "You can try to lie to me all you want, but I will always see the truth."

"My apologies, Your Excellency, but I have no idea what you're talking about," Organa said simply.

Amedda's smile faded. "I see. Then you will have no problem attending her execution tomorrow."

"You wouldn't let Senator Amidala go even if I told you, but I have no information. She believed the Jedi were fighting for us, just like everyone else."

Amedda looked at Organa for a long moment. "The Senate will vote on new leadership in three days. I have a favor to ask of you."

"Yes, Your Excellency?"

"I would like you to endorse my candidacy for Supreme Chancellor."

Organa sat forward a bit. "The people will in no doubt vote for you, sir."

"Yes, but for those who disagree...you're seen as a voice of reason, Senator. Can I trust you with this?"

Organa paused for a moment. Endorsing Amedda wasn't going to do anything to help ease the political climate, and it would make everything worse for his Jedi allies. But if it meant he'd live to protect the Republic later... "Yes, Your Excellency."

"Perfect," Amedda folded his hands together. "Perfect."

"We can use my ship," said Padmé. She was holding her baby bump, trying not to look down at the seemingly endless drop while Anakin wove between speeders. He was definitely going way too fast. "You know where it's parked."

"Good idea," Anakin agreed.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan was gripping onto the side of the transport, looking as queasy as Padmé felt. "Don't you think her ship is a little flashy?"

"Yes, but it's the best we got. We can take it and get out of here!"

Obi-Wan didn't object any farther, but Padmé guessed he had a lot of things he'd like to say about Anakin's plan.

No one said anything the entire rest of the trip and Padmé was greatly relieved when Anakin finally parked the transport at a landing dock to board her ship. Anakin was the first to jump down, and he extended his gloved hand to her to help her off, then he helped Obi-Wan get Rex down, then he lifted Threepio and R2 with the Force to set them down as well.

"Anakin," Obi-Wan warned. "You need to take it a bit easier than that."

Padmé looked to her husband, who was hunched over and breathing heavily.

"I'm fine," he almost groaned.

"You're not fine. I'll help Rex. You get Padmé on board," said Obi-Wan.

Anakin nodded and motioned for Padmé to follow him to the shiny Naboo cruiser, which she did.

"Are you going to tell me what's wrong with you?" she asked as he opened the door for them to board.

Anakin shrugged and walked up the ramp. "I got stabbed. No big deal."

"No big deal?" Padmé cried. She grabbed him by the shoulders to stop him from escaping to the flight deck.