Chapter 1

A stunned silence fell over me. It was heavy - as if someone had just draped a weighted blanket onto my shoulders. I stared, unmoving, at my phone screen which had just turned black. The reality of the situation, of what Richy just told me, started to sink in. It was highly unsettling, disturbing, and yet, somehow, I understood his intentions.

Am I wrong for the feeling of understanding I currently have?

A thousand and one thoughts swarmed my mind, but I could not concentrate on any of them. The world blurred around me as I finally broke my gaze from my phone. It was becoming hard to breathe properly. All the torment, the threatening phone calls, the attacks... it was almost as if it meant nothing now. Knowing who and what was behind them all, gives me a feeling of uncertainty that I cannot understand. I do not have the time, nor the energy, to wonder about all of this.

After such a crazy and long month of trying to find Hannah and figure out what was going on in Duskwood, I am completely exhausted.

I just want to sleep.

But there was absolutely no way I could do that now. My newly acquired friends, albeit through quite unfortunate circumstances, needed me. And I possibly needed them just as much. Thomas is probably doing okay, knowing that Hannah is safe. At least, he should be okay for now – until he finds out the truth. The same goes for Lilly, I would say. I am beyond relieved that Hannah is safe now. I can only imagine the level of relief they are feeling. Cleo and Dan are more than likely on their way to Hannah, probably still on edge, but thankful it is all over. But Jessy... I assume Jessy is an emotional mess right now. Understandably so. Richy means so much to her.

I witnessed her disbelief when he revealed the truth to her. I know deep down she believes it, but the shock she must be feeling overwhelms it. I need to go to her. I need to make sure she is okay.

After about ten minutes of sitting on the barstool in my small kitchen, frozen in place from the shock of the situation, I finally manage to get up. I must go to Duskwood right away. Donning my shoes and grabbing my keys, I make my way to the front door of my apartment. Just as I reach for the handle to leave, a thought stops me.

Jake.

Oh my God. Jake! In the craziness of the past half hour or so, my mind completely blocked out the thought of him. My heart starts racing as I recall the events of our last conversation.

The FBI in the mine, and not because of Hannah.

All the exits blocked.

The shaft with the old and rusty ladder.

"Will you stay in Duskwood? When all of this is over?"

"Do you want me to stay?"

"Is it dangerous for you?"

"It always will be... You have seen what a life with me can look like. But if you want to be with me, then we will find a way."

"I do."

" : ) "

His words of one of our last conversations play in my head over and over.

If you want to be with me, then we will find a way.

We will find a way.

Be with me.

Before I know it, my chest grows tight, and I fall to my knees. Tears stream down my face, but the sob in my throat will not come out. I cannot breathe. It is as if I am stuck in the mine myself, and the walls have just crumbled down. I am trapped. Trapped in a world of racing thoughts and endless worry.

Did he get out of the mine?

Has the FBI found him?

What is going to happen to him if they did?

Will I ever see him?

The storm of thoughts is unceasing. They are a brutal attack on my mind... on my soul. How is it that a man whose face I have never even seen, whose voice I have never heard, has such a hold on me? I have only just met him, not even in person, but something about him pulls me. He is kind and compelling. Eloquent, yet relaxed. He is always calm, even in the face of danger and uncertainty.

I feel as though as I have failed him, in some way. I should have been the one to go to the mine. If only we could rewind the clock just a little bit, especially knowing the truth – knowing that Hannah would have been set free without question and she would not have been hurt. But that is not how it works, and life is just not fair.

I need to talk to him. I need to know that he is safe. The feeling is overwhelming, and before I can think anymore horrific thoughts about Jake, I pull up our chat and message him.

"Jake? Are you alright??"

It feels like an eternity passes by as I stare at the screen, praying to see the little three dots pop up. At least then I would know that he is alive. In reality though, it is only about five seconds that passes by. Because before I know it, a wave of nausea and dizziness washes over me, and my head finds the floor.