Chapter 6

A/N: please read!

Before I start this chapter, I first want to say that I am changing the timeline of events from a week (not really sure why I did that in the first place!) to about a month...  so, from the time Flora was added to the group to when Hannah was found, a month had passed. 

Second, I added a sentence to chapter 3 explaining that Phil was released from prison after Hannah was found. I didn't realize I initially left that out. 

I also changed a sentence from chapter 5 that I noticed I had gotten wrong regarding Jake being on the run from the government. Originally, I didn't know how long he was on the run, but I've been replaying the game so I can make sure to get the details right, and noticed he said 4 years. Anyways, nothing that big - just small edits as I think of them :) no need to go reread or anything. 

Lastly, I am going off of a theory I saw on Reddit regarding how the main character got involved in this - basically that Thomas came up with the number himself out of sheer desperation, and it just so happened to be MC's number.  I like this theory the best, so that's what I'm going with. 

~*~

"So, how is she?" I ask Thomas quietly. I had just arrived at Hannah's apartment to finally see her, and Thomas came out to meet me.

He shrugs slightly and sighs, running a hand through his hair. "She's pretty shaken up, disturbed, but she's doing better than yesterday." I nod in understanding. I cannot even imagine the fear that Hannah has experienced. Such a traumatic experience would surely have anyone shaken to the core. I briefly wonder if she plans on speaking with her psychiatrist about it, considering he didn't believe her when she told him her concerns. "Flora, now really isn't a good time..."

"Oh," I say, a bit disappointed. "Well, that's alright. I understand if she isn't up to talk right now."

Thomas's shoulders sag. "Look, I don't really know how to say this, but it's something I should've told you from the beginning." His words don't help the ever-growing nerves in my belly. He opens and closes his mouth a few times, as if he is trying to decide if he should tell me or not. Worry creeps into me, as Thomas struggles internally. I make a face indicating for him to continue.

A long, silent minute passes. "Thomas?" I start to wonder if whatever it is he is trying to tell me must not be good. His eyes snap to mine.

"Hannah didn't send me your number, Flora." I look between his eyes, unsure of what to say. "I'm sorry I – I didn't know how to tell you."

"Thomas, what are you talking about?" Disbelief fills my voice.

"I sent you a message 72 hours after Hannah went missing," I nod. "The police weren't doing anything useful to find her and I was losing my mind. Grasping at straws." I shake my head slightly; my mind is reeling as I try to connect what Thomas is saying. "I – I made it all up, in an attempt to get everyone to help me find her."

  It takes a second for things to fall into place... Thomas told everyone that Hannah messaged him with my number, but that never happened. He was the one to come up with the number. He pulled me into the group who, at the time, was not on the same page about looking for Hannah themselves. I remember Jessy didn't want to get involved and Lilly wanted the police to do everything. So, in an attempt to pull everyone together, Thomas came up with the idea of seeking out a random number for help. And I was the one who happened to be the owner of that number.

  It all seemed so coincidental. Too coincidental. But is it really all just happenstance, or is there a reason Thomas randomly picked my number? I think back to an old statistics professor who said that when too many things seem to line up coincidentally, it isn't really coincidence at all.