Chapter 1 - The Dreaded Support Group

A loud bang sounded from the top of the stairs as Gus entered the basement. I stayed focused on the TV screen as I smashed the buttons on the controller in my hand. I didn't look up until Gus' large frame stepped in front of the TV.

"Move, fat ass," I snapped trying to look around him.

"Now is that the way you greet your brother that you've known since the womb?" he chided shaking his finger at me like a parent.

"Gus!" I groaned.

Suddenly the sound of a squish and the 'game over' tone sounded from the TV.

"No!" I cried jumping to my feet, "You've gotta be kidding me! That took me twelve hours! Augustus!"

He just smiled cheekily as I glared at him.

"Good, so that means you've been down here all night and most of this morning. Time to go outside," he chuckled taking the controller and tossing it on the ground.

He started to turn me around and push me towards the steps. My service dog, Joyful, hopped up from her spot on his bed and trotted over to us. Still angry about the game, I dug my heels into the carpet pushing back against him. I could practically hear him rolling his eyes.

"I guess we're doing this the hard way," he grumbled.

Before I could protest, he swept me off my feet and started carrying me. I squirmed in his arms.

"Gus put me the fuck down! I wanna finish my game!" I howled, "You are such an ass!"

"Cleo, language," Mom called from the kitchen as Gus carried me through the house.

"We're going to Isaac's support group, we'll be back after," Gus called over his shoulder bending down to grab my shoes before walking out the door.

"For a one legged guy, you don't seem to have much hinderance," I grumbled as he set me in the car.

He just gave me another cheeky smile before opening the back door to allow Joyful to get in. He then got in the driver's seat and pulled out of the driveway. I pouted the entire way. When we finally came to a lurching stop in front of some church, I was ready to throw a full on fit.

"Why am I getting dragged into this?" I grumbled following him with Joyful at my side, "I don't need a support group."

"Yes but Isaac does and he invited us," Gus answered simply.

"No he invited you," I retorted, "I've never even seen Isaac before. You two never leave the basement."

"And you never leave your room when he comes over," he replied walking into the building.

I huffed resolving to cross my arms over my chest and just glower at everyone. Right as we walked in, Gus ran into someone. They both looked at each other kinda surpised.

"My bad," Gus muttered looking at the girl with a small smile.

I rolled my eyes. Is he being for real?

"I...I'm sorry," she mumbled blushing but not looking away.

Gus just gave her another flirty smile before turning to walk away. He looked back over his shoulder just in time to run into a door frame. I snorted as he embarrassedly smiled and disappeared into the hallway. I looked over at the girl examining her. She was pretty in a 'I'm being me and I don't care what you think' kind of way. She seemed to just notice me when Joyful bumped her hand with her large fuzzy head.

"Oh, hi," she said with a little wave.

"Hi," I replied, "I'm Cleo Waters. That's my twin brother Gus, you know the guy that was flirting with you."