Chapter 9 - Like He's Already Gone

Once Gus started doing chemo again, things began to change. I think it was selfish for Mom and Dad to make him go through this when it's probably not going to work, but they said be optimistic. It's getting hard to be optimistic. I never was good at it to begin with.

So, sitting cross-legged on the rough carpet at another one of Gus's appointments, I couldn't help but start doodling on magazine's to take my mind off things. Isaac was seated behind me in a chair that looked comfier than it probably was. Across from us, Hazel and Gus were laying on a couch. They were hand in hand whispering stuff back and forth that was so disgustingly sweet it made me wanna gag. Apparently I wasn't the only one irritated by this because Isaac interrupted them, blandly stating:

"You guys are so cute. It's disgusting."

I snorted glancing up from my doodle of a rabbit and over at Hazel and Gus who just grinned at us.

"You and Cleo wish you were us," Hazel replied with a smirk.

My face instantly went red at the insinuation and I awkwardly cleared my throat standing up. "I'm going to get Cheetos. Anybody else want anything?" I asked.

"Skittles," Hazel answered.

"A Sprite," Isaac added.

"Wrong floor," I chuckled shaking my head, "Only food."

"Eh, never mind then," he shrugged and I nodded leaving the room.

The vending machine was just around the corner though so I could still hear them talking after I left.

"Oh ho ho," Gus was laughing.

"What?" Isaac questioned.

"She's into you that's what," Gus snorted.

"Uh, I don't think so," Hazel argued, "I think I just made her uncomfortable."

I started picking out the food items we wanted then fed the machine a few bills. It beeped loudly as I waited for it to drop the chips and candy.

"Nope. I know Cleo better than anyone else in the world. She likes Isaac," Gus stated.

Eventually both items came rattling into the bottom and the machine spit out my change. I grabbed the coins pocketing them before grabbing the snacks.

"Are you feeling okay?" Isaac laughed, "Because if these statements are coming out of you not being in your right mind, I'd understand completely."

"I am doing wonderful, thank you very much," Gus replied, "And my beloved twin is in love with you. And you like her so it works."

I froze, my eyes going wide.

"Whoa! I never said that," Isaac immediately argued.

"You don't have to; it's obvious," Gus replied.

I reentered the room and they all got quiet. Hazel let out a soft snort, putting her head on Gus's chest. When conversation did start again, it wasn't about crushes or anything of that sort. Hazel paused beside me when we were leaving though after Gus finished.

"You heard-"

"Everything," we said at the same time both nodding.

"Vending machine is three steps around the corner," I shrugged.

She let out a small laugh.

"I was gonna tell them, but it was funnier not to," she replied grinning.

I narrowed my eyes at her in a mock glare which she got to evade because her mom pulled up. We said goodbye and she headed home. Gus and I dropped Isaac off then headed home ourselves.

Things were good for a while. Gus did his treatments, we all hung out as unlikely friends, support group continued to be painful. Life was normal. A different normal, but normal. And then Hazel called me one night.

"Hello?" I groggily answered the phone.

"H-hey Cleo, it's Hazel. I'm sending you my location right now and you need to get here fast. I don't know what happened but Augustus-"

I shot up in my bed, fear filling me in an instant.

"What?! What happened?" I snapped rushing to my closet and yanking on a pair of shoes as fast as I could.

"I dunno. He called me a little while ago- he's throwing up and his device is infected," she tried to explain, "I already called nine-one-one, just please try to get here."

"I'm on my way," I promised running from my room, "MOM! DAD!"

Both of them came stumbling out of their room as I sprinted downstairs.

"Cleo? Cleo, what's going on?" Mom exclaimed.

"It's Gus," I breathed and fear filled both of their eyes.

We rushed to the gas station where Hazel and Gus were. We got there about the same time as the EMTs were placing Gus in an ambulance. Mom and Dad raced over to them immediately.

"Hazel!" I called spotting the brown haired girl.

She whirled around and gasped when I nearly tackled her in a hug.

"Cleo," she breathed hugging me back just as tightly.

Gus was rushed to the hospital and stayed there for three days. In those three days, I watched my brother lose himself. I watched him break down in tears countless times arguing with a nurse about his meds. I watched him struggle to walk...then to stand. When he came home, he was bound to a wheel chair.

I wish I could say we continued to have happy moment like when we egged Monica's car. That after the gas station incident, things got better. That we made ourselves unforgettable and bonded over somewhat illegal circumstances. But we didn't. After the incident, Gus got worse really, really fast. And suddenly, things started changing.

Our older half sisters moved in. I gave up my room for them and ended up taking Gus' room. Gus moved into the living room where there was a hospital bed and all this equipment. Everywhere. It looked like the ICU, a place I'd seen too many times to count.

Everyone is preparing for Gus to die. Everyone except me.