The Train

It was Remudara's fifth year at Hogwarts and it seemed like her life had spiraled into a new layer of hell. As she hesitantly stepped through the platform, she slowly scanned the train wishing, hoping, and praying for an open seat. Like a tidal wave she felt the anxiety wash over her and crash into any confidence she may have had left. Someone had to sit with me right? She thought as knots began to form in her stomach.

     The few train cars visible were filled with seats from Ravenclaws Hufflepuffs and Gryffindors. She of course ruled out the furthest cart to the back which was always where the Slytherin sat. She knew none of them would accept her again...not after last year. A stranger in my house how very poetic.

     There were absolutely no empty seats she could see in the few train carts in front of her. Solemnly, she pushed through the crowds on the train and examined each seat aching to find anyone that might let her sit down. She noticed Malfoy and his usual goons Crabbe and Goyle strutting from an entrance near the back of the train heading towards the first years. She assumed they were on their yearly quest to haze first years into shitting themselves.

     "What a charmer that Malfoy is." She laughed to herself in her own hatred of the snake she glanced at.

     "Certainly" Came a sarcastic sounding voice from beside her. She was so distracted looking at Malfoy that she hardly noticed the boy sitting alone in a seat to the right of her." Sorry I didn't quite mean to say that out loud." Said the boy she recognized as Neville Longbottom. His tone seemed apologetic and meek and she noticed him staring at her green house robes. It seemed as though Neville thought somehow her being in Slytherin meant that this would offend her. She giggled in amusement.

     "It's quite alright Neville, I was being sarcastic too. To tell you the truth all of Slytherin house only pretends to like Draco." Rem and Neville laughed in unison "Is it alright if I sit next to you?" She wasn't at all the bravest person, but something about him felt like he was nice enough to let her sit with him. An aura of kindness surrounded him and covered him like perfume.

     "I s-suppose" Said Neville, stuttering. He was obviously not used to a pretty girl wanting to talk to him, much less sit with him. Rem couldn't help but think his nature was so warm and inviting, so non judgmental, so not like Draco. Not to mention his quirky mannerisms were a bit cute to her. He kept glancing down nervously at his hands, as though they held the secrets to conversation.

     "My name's Remudara, thanks for asking." She chimed with what must only be Slytherin charm. She grinned from ear to ear at the boy sitting next to her, amused at how he was able to change her mood from anxious to playful.

     "o-oh yeah I'm sorry I was about to ask-"Neville stammered, obviously taken aback by her style of classic Slytherin banter.

     "Don't be so nervous darling." She said cheerfully, looking him dead in the eyes (which also seemed to throw him off whatever kind of game he had).

     "Sor- er I mean...I just think it's the American accent, it's quite intimidating.

     "I 'et tha' qui'e a lo' 'anks" She said in her best imitation of an exaggerated British accent. This earned a laugh from Neville who suddenly realized that she was just as much of a dork as he was. Their conversation lasted hours from there. Neville seemed to go on for ages about the things he'd seen in the Gryffindor common room with Harry, which he seemed to find rather impressive regardless of the fact that he actually did none of it with Harry. Remudara talked equally as much about the foul and disgusting things she'd witnessed in the Slytherin common room through the years. Neville seemed to think it hilarious that a member of Slytherin house would have no issue with roasting the hell out of it with him.

     It was practically nightfall and their conversation was still going strong, until suddenly, as if you said his name three times, a particular blonde snake slithered his way into their cart. Draco Malfoy, in the skin, had made it onto the cart and had his eyes directly on Remudara. Having the sixth sense that she did for snakes and players like Malfoy she immediately excused herself from the conversation and stated that she need to handle something and would be back. Malfoy, surprisingly, was alone. No fat goons to mindlessly do his biddings were around this time.

     Rem marched up to him ready to cast a spell that would send him back to the Stone Age. "What in the hell do you want, you putrid piece of human Vaseline. " She growled at him, not in the mood for his games.

     "You obviously." He said trying (and failing) to sound seductive. He scanned up and down Rem's body , shamelessly checking her out.

     "Was that it?" Rem said, honestly disappointed in his lack of creativity.

     "What... that wasn't hot?!" He said thoroughly confused. He clearly wondered what had happened and if he really lost his touch.

     "You know, believe it or not, being harassed, gossiped about, and laughed at by the entire Slytherin social sphere for the entirety of your fourth year is actually a huge turn off."

     "You know you still want me, darling." That word was a dagger in her. "I did everything I did so you would want me back" There was a hint of honesty to his voice that Rem sensed, but it didn't matter. He was still a douche who cheated on her with Panties Parkinsons and made a quarter of the school turn against her. Feeling entitled by his penis and his empty words, Draco went in for a kiss. He was met with a harsh blow to the chest by her knee.

     "Bloody hell" Draco yelled in between gasps as he collapsed on the ground. "Where on earth did you learn that?" She didn't answer. She only smirked as she walked back to the compartment where her new friend sat awaiting her, someone who wouldn't hurt her like Malfoy.

     "Oh hey Rem." Neville said in his own cringe worthy American accent as she sat down once again next to him. She laughed ever so grateful for a good start to this year. "So you were telling me about your summer then." Said Neville eager to hear the story she had been telling before she left the compartment.

     "yeah, I mean it was rather uneventful" She lied thinking of the move she recently learned that left Malfoy doubled over in the hall as they spoke.