Chapter 3

Rocky leans on the front desk, placing both the elbows on it, waiting for someone to notice him. The manager gets up and greets him with a big smile.

Rocky: Nice hotel

Manager: Thank you sir. We are no.1 in Bangalore hospitality sir!

The manager proudly says so as he puffs his chest.

Rocky: Really? I didn't know that no.1 hotels only have cold water and bed bugs

Manager: *Takes a long gasp*. Sir sir sir, Please sir. Don't tell this to the owner sir. please sir, I have family sir. He'll kill me sir. Plea..

Rocky: Don't die, get it fixed.

Manager: Take this luxury suite sir. We installed a brand new TV sir. Very nice sir. Come sir.

The manager takes rocky to the new room. Uninterested, Rocky walks to the mini fridge and pulls out 3 tiny alcohol samplers. He slowly and seriously looks at the manager. The manager swiftly runs out of the room and shouts at the bell boy to get a box of beers and rum as soon as possible. The manager hastily rushes back to the room and out of breath, he starts showing Rocky around. Bored, Rocky opens the small sampler and chugs it. The manager, as a last attempt to impress Rocky, switches on the TV. As Rocky puts the bottle down, he hears a known voice come out of the TV. When he takes a glance, his jaw drops in awe and wonder. It was an interview on Doordarshan between a female news anchor and Reena. Rocky jumps on the bed and says

Rocky: Ey manager, what are you doing here standing around? have some decency. Give me and your sister some priiivacy. Go Go Gooo!

The manager signs in relief, thanks god, and hangs a do not disturb card on the door knob before leaving.

Anchor: Unlike other doctors, what made you come back to India and build a multi specialty hospital in Bangalore?

Reena: As I told you before, like Gandhiji or Ambedkar, I just went abroad to learn and gain knowledge, it did not make sense to stay there are work when all my people are here. That's another reason why I did not build it in Delhi. I wanted to be home and take care of the people that once took care of me.

Anchor: And what did you do in the US? Was the Indian medical training not adequate?

Reena: Everything I learnt in the US was based on my training in India only. The only reason why I went to the US is to learn more about general- trauma surgeries and its protocols. I grew up seeing a lot of violence. There were people with knife stabs and bullet wounds that I did not know how to efficiently treat. The experience I gained equipped me with better skills with lesser complications.

Anchor: Interesting. Like you said earlier, you've seen a lot of violence and innocent people getting hurt. If a dying innocent person and a notorious criminal walk into your hospital, whom will you prioritize first? The innocent man or the criminal that the government needs alive?

Reena: That's a ridiculous question. Sinner or saint, everyone is equal in my operating theater. Depending on the severity, I will prioritize the patient's care.

Anchor: Well, since it is a huge multispecialty hospital, I am assuming it will only cater to the VIPs. Is it not?

Reena: Absolutely not. This is a not for profit hospital. We work on donations and government subsidies. The doors are open for everyone.

Anchor: We've learned a lot about the upcoming hospital. Now if you don't mind, I want to ask you a personal question.

Reena: Oh please go ahead!

Anchor: We've heard rumors about your engagement to Industrialist Bharghav's only son Kamal. When and where is it?

Reena smiles and looks down uncomfortably