Chapter 12

Continued

Nurse: What are you staring at! Start talking!!

Reena: Okay okay! So I went down to have dinner with my father. But my forehead was covered in sweat. I kept thinking, what if someone found out that Rocky was in my room!?.. Right?

Nurse: Okaaay..

• Flashback •

Rajendra Desai

Rajendra Desai

Rajendra: Chinna... are you okay? Why are you standing there and looking around?

Reena: *nervously smiles* I'm just stressed about a complicated surgery I need to perform. Leave that. How are you feeling today? Any pain in chest again?

Rajendra: With all the pills you doctors make me take, I might choke and die before a heart attack comes.

Reena: Appa! That's not funny. Those pills save lives!!

Reena says as she pulls a chair for herself at the table. Two maids come in and start serving food to the father and daughter. Rajendra flicks his hand, gesturing to the maids to leave. He looks at Reena and says,

Rajendra: Chinna.. I found some of your mother's belongings in the attic yesterday.

Reena: Oh my god! What did you find?

Rajendra: She wrote Siva Cheeti and wanted to perform one last ritual before she died. I wish I knew this earlier. I would have done something.

Rajendra covers his face with his hand. He tried not to cry. Reena gets up and kneels on one knee beside his father. She puts her arm around her father and comforts him.

Reena: Appa please. It's don't feel bad. Whatever happened was beyond our control.

Rajendra: No kanna, I don't deserve her. I never did. I neglected her for so many years. Now that she's gone, I realize how much she means to me.

Reena: Not a day passes by without me missing amma. It kills me that I'm living her dream and she cannot be a part of it. Is there anything regarding us or her last wishes?

Rajendra: That is what I wanted to talk about. Wash your hands and come to the study room.

Reena nods and goes to wash her hand. She quickly runs to the study room and sits beside her emotionally fragile father.

Rajendra: These are the Cheetis. She'd write our family troubles and wishes on this and go to her ancestral village to perform the ritual. I thought I'd go but..

Reena: No appa! It's almost all forest, isn't it? You cannot go. It's very strenuous!

Rajendra: That's what I thought. So I was wondering if you can go instead.

Reena: But.. Appa.. I have a hospital to run..

Rajendra: It'll only take a few days Chinna. Think about it. It's for your mother.

Reena: .... Alright appa. I'll go for amma.

Rajendra: Thanks kandalu. I'll arrange a car and few of the guys to go with you.

Reena: Nooo! No! No! No! I will go Appa. But only I will go. I don't want anyone with me or even following me. I don't even want a car. I haven't taken a break for a while now. I'd like to use this time to relax. And I'd like to do it alone.

Rajendra: Chinna! You are forgetting who your father is. I have a lot of enemies and I don't want you to get caught in the crossfire.

Reena: Fine. But I do not want to see them anywhere near me. Ask them to stay outside the village. If there's any trouble, I will page Suriayya and they can come... okay?

Rajendra: But..

Reena: I am not budging on this Appa!

Rajendra: Fine fine. As you wish.

Rajendra gets up and hugs his daughter for taking up his responsibility. He hands over his wife's belongings to Reena.

• End of flashback •

Nurse: Offooooo.. a break from this hectic hospital, the goons and the visiting your mother's ancestral village? How exciting!

Reena: Rigggghht! That's why I was such a good mood in the morning

Nurse: Ooooooh.. so there's nothing between that person sleeping in your office and you then?

Reena: I won't even think about it. He is such a monster. It took him 5 minutes to break their bones. It took 4 doctors 5 hours to save their lives.

Nurse: But why did he thrashed them in the first place?

Reena: Just because they teased me and pulled my saari.

Nurse: Reaaally?? Where were your gundas then?

Reena: I asked them to stay back and have lunch.

Nurse: Ooooooh..

Reena: I have nothing against rowdies. You know I grew up with them around 24x7, right? I understand that they do what they do to feed their families. But is too much. I can't save lives while being with someone that's actively doing the opposite. And so I've made my mind. I am not interested in him. That's all.

Nurse: Can I say something?

Reena: What? That he's a saint? Or some great god?

Nurse: Chi chi!! Worst fellow he is!! Ruthless in that!

Reena: Exactly!

Nurse: Like, he couldn't even bear the fact that someone misbehaved with the girl he loves and took the matter in his own hands. Horrible fellow!

Reena: *shaking her head* You can stop

Nurse: These days, it is easy to find a guy, a decent guy. But a man that loves you so much that he's willing to KILL for you? Uffff...

Reena: PARU!!!! You saw what he did to those people!

Nurse: Calm dowwwn...All I'm saying is... if he is not your cup of tea, then I don't mind making him mine.

The nurse says so while nervously fidgeting with hair. Reena stares at the nurse with her jaw dropped.

Reena: ...Are...you...serious? After all I just told you..?

Nurse: Only if you're not interested in him..

Reena: NO NO NOOO! I just didn't thi..

Rocky: There you are. I've been looking everywhere for you.

Reena glances at Rocky and immediately looks away. She folds her hands and starts tapping her feet impatiently.

Rocky: Look. I'm not going to apologize for what I did today. But I do feel bad for upsetting you, especially after you so sweetly fed me.

On hearing this, nurse stares at Reena with piercing eyes while Reena innocently looks up and away from the nurse. Rocky continues.

Rocky: So as penance, I paid twice the estimate of how much ever their hospital bill would be. I hope that helps. Anyway. It's getting late now. I'll go. Goodnight Sona.

Reena rolls her eyes while Rocky turns around to walk away. He suddenly turns back and says

Rocky: Oh ya, keep that window locked. Days are bad... who knows who will climb up to find you in a towel *shrugs, winks and smiles*

————————————————————————
A/N: Hey guys, I hope this was interesting. Can you guess where the story is headed? Wrong answers only! 😂 Anyway, don't forget to vote and comment. I LOOOOOVEE reading your sweet and funny comments. It makes me want to write more and more. Take care!