3. Beginning of the End

It all happened a very long time ago. So long, in fact, that those who recorded the event or even perhaps witnessed it, are now all extinct, or have disappeared. But it did happen. Two great galaxies passed so close to one another that their gravitational fields collided. The cosmic tug of war that ensued, pulled entire systems towards each other.

  An outcast of that calamitous, yet forgotten event was a single cold, dark, dead planet, which, along with an entire star system, was pulled out and left abandoned in the void between galaxies. That planet, the sole survivor of the displaced star system now floated like an orphan lost in the never ending darkness of space.

  It was on the surface of this unlikeliest of places that two faint apparitions were seen to be loitering. Once they had finally taken human form, one of them spoke out. The echoes of his faint voice pierced through the silence that had shrouded the mountains, planes, valleys and craters of this forgotten planet for almost an eternity.

“What is it, Sheel?” one voice asked the other.

“Where we stand now there used to be a beautiful sea,” Sheel, the human standing before him, replied, in a distant voice, “It once teemed with life. The valley before us used to be covered by an inorganic, sentient species of plant-like organism. There were even species on this planet who could have evolved beyond the threshold. I can still sense them, Shubhankor.”

“But the universe had other plans, did it not?” Shubhankor responded.

“Yes it did. And they all saw it coming. Yet until the very last moment, none of them realised what was about to happen.”

“If they knew, could they have escaped it?”

“No. None of them could migrate between planets. They didn't have enough time to evolve to that stage.” Sheel replied.

“Then perhaps it was kinder that way. Seeing a bright luminous galaxy light up the night sky for hundreds of years must have been a sight to behold.”

“It was. But now they are all forgotten.”

“Have they been forgotten? Are we not remembering them right now?” Shubhankor's voice was gentle, “The creation forgets nothing and it whispers all these stories to those like us who can listen. Although, I have not yet determined if this ability is a curse disguised as a gift. But then, it is what it is.”

  Sheel did not reply immediately. Walking slowly over the bed of rocks that had not felt the touch of life for eons he asked, “Why are we here, Shubhankor?”

“To witness an end and hopefully a new beginning,” Shubhankor answered looking up towards the heavens. “That galaxy looming right above us is Hermesh, the birthplace of a race called Amarthians.”

  Sheel looked back in shock; first at his companion and then towards the disc-shaped galaxy which in its enormity had covered almost half the horizon to the east.

“And there, right behind you is what will hasten the beginning of the end of Hermesh,” Shubhankor spoke again, pointing to the western horizon.

  As he turned around, Sheel saw something so inexplicably strange that for a few moments he was lost for words.

  Glowing across the pitch black of space an arc of pure white light stretched from one horizon to the other. It took Sheel a moment to realise that this phenomenon was not planetary but celestial in nature. It stretched across half the length of the observable night sky, glowing from within.

“Is that the rift?” he asked.

“Yes it is,” Shubhankor replied.

“We did that?” Sheel asked almost in a choked voice.

“You sound surprised. You remember our old friend, Rudragiri? He used to say, 'Let them fear you, for they think you can move mountains with a single thought. Just never be tempted to show them that you can move stars too.' ”

“This is madness!”

“Of course it is. When is war anything but?” Shubhankor was unphased.

“But they can't just...” Sheel turned to his companion, desperation burning in his eyes. “How many living beings are we talking about here, Shubhankor?”

“If you are talking about lives, there are countless of those inhabiting Hermesh. But if you are referring to sentient beings only, then 5 trillion 738 billion 625 million 538, 257...and diminishing fast. Look closely, Sheel. It has begun.”

  As Sheel focused in the direction that Shubhankor was gazing, he noticed tiny firefly-like dots moving from the edge of the galaxy towards the rainbow of light. Similar dots of light were also moving from the direction of the rift towards the galaxy as well. It didn't take Sheel long to realise what he was witnessing. Thousands upon thousands of spaceships were moments away from engaging in an intergalactic battle.

Sheel appeared agitated by this celestial spectacle, “I have seen something like this before.” he said.

“Where?” Shubhankor asked curiously.

“A distant memory or perhaps it was a dream; I can't remember. But it was different there. Instead of the rift there was another galaxy and all the ships were moving towards it from Hermesh.”

“Now, that is interesting.”

“Will the Amarthians and the others be able to stop the invasion?” Sheel asked, after a few moments of silent observation.

“No they will not,” Shubhankor replied in a distant but definitive voice.

“Will they be able to survive?”

“They were never meant to.”

“Have you brought me here to change that outcome?”

“You can't change their destiny, even if you tried, Sheel.”

“Then what do you want me to do?” Sheel turned to look at his companion.

“Write our prelude. Make sure their end does not stop our beginning,” Shubhankor replied. He looked at Sheel for emphasis, “Everything depends on it. The Reawakening must happen.”

“Do you understand what you are asking of me?”

“Yes I do. And that is why I am asking you. Can you do it?”

“I can try.”

********************************

Author's Note: I know, I know, the names of the chapters are weird. But please do keep reading. I promise, it gets much, much better. You might consider voting  too. Any feedback or comments are more than welcomed. Your engagement with my creation will help more people find the story on Wattpad. TIA