45. The Final Battle

If one were to draw a straight line from Andhorh right up to Alamiin, Mahuka would fall almost at its centre. The binary star system, with over 100 planets, protoplanets and moons, was the largest star system of Hermesh. Once home to over 10 billion Amarthians, Mahuka was now getting ready for the final battle of the Kaya War.

As the three Class 50 Hakisangh Destroyers went past them towards the centre of the star system, General Naaroke Barmin observed, “Have you ever wondered Reemon, if the Goulash Armada had a few ships like these, how differently you could have greeted the Kaya?”

Commodore Reemon Erra looked on but did not reply.

“The fortification is almost complete. 685,923 ships and counting.” 1st Admiral Herrek'Nole informed, his eyes shining with pride.

“And how many are we welcoming?” Erra finally asked.

“The Kaya are entering the system with 2 million.” Nole replied.

“Much better odds than we have faced in many previous engagements.” General Barmin enthused.

“What news from Alamiin?” Erra asked.

“Last message from Mondroh Annokh indicated Aroragi is about to be activated. Once the countdown begins, it cannot be stopped.” Nole replied.

As Nole spoke those words, 15,000 Manwatu ships, the remnants of the final defence line that held back the Kaya from reaching Andhorh, entered Mahuka.

"Those were the last of the ships we were waiting for. The defence formation is now complete." General Barmin said looking at the floating map in front of them. They're ready.”

"Message from President Tekkar. She's awaiting orders to mobilize.” Nole added, turning to Erra.

“Permission granted.” Erra said with an unexpected furvor in his voice, “Tell them, time is running out. They have but one last chance to exact vengeance before the end!”

There was a brief silence while the command was relayed. In a heartbeat it triggered a series of maneuvers amidst the thousands of ships.

For the three war veterans the sight of those formidable weapons of war moving in gigantic swarms and waves as they positioned themselves for the final battle was both awe inspiring and terrifying.

"I wonder what's happening in Grohir." Erra whispered.

“It is night in most of the Grohir settlements." Nole replied, "But who can sleep tonight of all nights."

General Barmin smiled, “Nessun dorma, my friend, nessun dorma.”

“I don't understand what you are saying,“ Nole said in confusion.

“A song, a poem from my universe. It says…

None shall sleep.

None shall sleep!

Watch the stars,

That tremble with love

And with hope.

But my secret is hidden within me,

My name, no one shall know….!"

"That is sad."

"Yes I suppose it is. As is our reality." General Barmin mused, "There's a part of me that wishes I was there in that last assembly of sentient beings from across the galaxy. I wonder what they are talking about right now, what they are remembering. How are they saying their final goodbyes? What is it that they regret the most? What are their final wishes? What are their final realisations and epiphanies? I wonder..."