Part 4: A croissant

Charlie

There he was.

Nick Nelson- in front of me again, all broad shoulders and stubble and perfect hair.
This strangely long-awaited moment that I'd been stupidly fantasizing about for a week now.

Why was he looking at me like that?

Was I looking at him the same way? With... anticipation? Amusement? I could feel my lips turned up into a smile, but I didn't stop it.
He was smiling back.

I'd watched him come in like a dream, pause inside the door and look around the room like he was searching for someone. Then, a look of disappointment. His shoulders had slumped forward. That was all gone now that he stood at the counter.

I realized then that he'd said hello back and now, we were just staring at each other. My cheeks felt hot.

"Uh- sorry, what can I get for you?"

"Oh- I'm picking up an order. For Sarah."

Sarah. The girlfriend?

I glance over at the counter where I'd wrapped up a dozen pastries- danishes and scones and muffins, all ready to go in a box.

"Sarah- yes, I've got that all ready for you. Big plans tonight?" I say, trying to sound casual. I'm not sure if it's working though, my face is so warm and my hands are beginning to sweat.

"Sort of- she's having all her friends over for wine and a catch-up."

"Oh" I say, a weird pit forming in my stomach. "Your girlfriends from here then?" I say- and god, it's such a stupid question, I really shouldn't have said anything.

Nicks eyes go wide, and then he laughs, leaning forward to rest his elbows on the counter between us.

"Sarah's my mum"

Stupid stupid stupid.

Still, relief washes over me. I feign an awkward laugh, brush it off. I start ringing in the order on the till so I don't have to look at him, my fingers fumbling on the touch screen.

"Just visiting home for a bit then yeah?" I ask, and out of the corner of my eye I think I see him tense.

"Something like that" he says.

I look back over, and our eyes meet. I don't mean to but I really can't help but smile, he's so handsome, and so much taller than me- even leaned over the counter like this. I hadn't realized how close he was.

Then, in the strangest moment, we both speak in unison, as if we'd rehearsed;

"It's nice to see a familiar face"

We pause afterwards, laugh again but this time the awkwardness is gone. I tell him his total and he slides me cash across the counter. I make sure not to touch his hand as I take it, even accidentally. Who knows what that would do to me.

I'm getting his change when he speaks again, his tone curious but still reserved.

"Can I ask you something?"