Part 7: Finding Peace

Charlie

I'd been awake since 5, lying in bed, staring at the ceiling. I'd watched the sun rise on it- golden light streaking in through the windows, casting shadows in the corners. I'd laid here, still, just thinking.

5 hours till I go to Nick Nelson's house.
4 hours till I go to Nick Nelson's house.
3, 2...

When I finally rise from the sheets my body is a bundle of nerves I can't seem to quell. My senses heightened- hair on the back of my neck sticking up. I'm so excited, but I'm terrified.

What will we do? What will I say?

What if I'm completely awkward and he realizes how much of a loser I am, so unworthy of his time, and then he goes back to Uni and I never see him again.

And all that he remembers of me is pathetic, left behind Charlie Spring.

I'm trying to shake the thought as I go through the motions of getting ready- fix my hair, pick an outfit- a cable-knit blue jumper over a white t-shirt, a pair of black jeans. I keep staring at myself in the mirror. My hair feels flat, my eyebrows feel... wrong. My face is odd.

1 hour till I go to Nick Nelson's house.

I should eat breakfast. I know I should, and I would, really. I've been good about it. But the thought of food makes me feel sick right now with all these knots in my stomach. All this uncertainty bubbling up.

I make tea instead, sit in the conservatory while time passes much too slow and far too fast all at once.

Tori walks past the open door, and spots me, curled into the sofa.

"Alright?" she asks, leaning into the doorway. I think I must look like a madman by the way she's peering at me.

"Yeah. You?"

"Where are you off to?" She doesn't answer my question.

"A friends." I answer.

"Oh, is someone back in town?"

"Uh.. yeah." Technically true.

"Who? Tao?" I shake my head. "Who?"

"Nick Nelson." Her face is unsure for a moment, thinking, and then a look of realization.

"You're friends with Nick Nelson?" She doesn't sound pleased.

"You know him?"

"Not really. Seen him and his rugby arsehole friends at parties and such."

"He's very nice." I say, my voice quiet. She hums an uncertain tone in response.

"Be careful." And then she's disappeared from the door.

Great. That made me feel so much better.

My half-drank tea has gone cold and I head to the kitchen, dump it down the sink. Wash the mug, put it away. Slow movements, kill time...

Shoes on. Fix my hair, again. Open the door-squint into the sunlight. Check Nick's address for the hundredth time.

Walk.