02 - Ground Zero

|SWH 02 - GROUND ZERO|

Adrienne

It has been several weeks since Alya, my mother, and I arrived in manila. Nakakapanibago dahil ibang iba ang lugar na 'to kumpara sa probinsya. The lack of lush greenery means that the air is not as fresh as in the province. Mas  marami nga ang buildings at mga kotse kesa sa puno't halaman. Gayon pa man, masaya akong maparito.

Hindi kami na-bored at nasulit namin ang bakasyon. There's so much to do and explore that Alya and I have been making the most out of our days here. We've visited several malls, each more enormous than the last, and were in awe of the towering skyscrapers that seemed to touch the sky. It's quite an experience to be surrounded by so much modernity, and I feel happy and fortunate to have the chance to witness these things.

The city has a unique energy that's hard to describe. It's as if everyone is in a hurry, rushing to get to their destinations. The traffic can frustrating at times. Kilala naman talaga ang maynila sa traffic kaya hindi na bago 'yon sa'kin pero minsan nakakabanas lalo pa't mainit.

At first, Alya and I found it challenging to adjust to our new environment. Everything was so different from what we were accustomed back in our hometown, and it was a bit overwhelming for me, for us. Kalaunan naman ay nakayanan namin mag-adjust at masanay sa paligid dahil na rin sa tulong ni mama.

Despite this, there are still moments when I feel a bit homesick. Nakaka-miss ang probinsya. I miss the simple and laid-back life we had there, where the air was fresher, and people were more relaxed. Whenever we talk about our hometown, I can't help but reminisce about the memories we've made and the people we've left behind.

May mga pagkakataon nga na gusto kong lumipad mula dito pauwi sa Nueva Ecija. But even with these occasional bouts of nostalgia and intrusive thoughts, I know that I made the right decision.

At tulad ng inaasahan ko, nakapasa kaming dalawa sa Entrance Exam ng StoneVill University. Nabiyayaan kami ng talino, oo, but the exam wasn't a walk in the park. It was never that easy, so we need to prepare and study harder before taking that test. Thankfully, we were both able to make it. Dapat lang! Nag-review kaya kami para ro'n.

I smiled proudly. I knew that getting into StoneVill University would open up many doors for us. It's one of the most prestigious universities in the country, known for its excellent academic programs and top-notch facilities. Sa katunayan nga, dito nag-aral si mama noon at sa kanya rin ako nagkaroon ng ideya kung anong klaseng paaralan ang Stonevill.

I heard the incessant knocks on my door once again - the nth time, to be exact. Displeased about being disturbed from my reverie, labag sa loob na bumalikwas ako sa pagkahiga. I stand and made my way to open the door. Feeling lethargic, I lazily gazed upon Alya, who was standing right in front of me with her hand resting on her waist.

"Salamat naman at pinagbuksan mo din ako! Letse, alam mo bang sobrang sakit na ng kamay ko kakakatok dito sa pinto mo?" She nagged at me. Gandang bungad, ansakit sa tenga ng boses niya.

Napailing ako sa narinig. "Ang aga-aga pa. Bakit ba nambubulabog ka na?" Tanong ko sa kanya habang nakahawak sa leeg ko at bahagyang minamasahe iyon.

She stared at me intently, furrowing her eyebrows. "Nakalimutan mo na ba?" Nananantyang tanong niya.

"Ang alin?"

"Anong alin? Gaga ka, ngayon 'yung araw ng enrollment sa SU." 

Doon ako tuluyang napamulat. It finally sinks on me. Naknang.. Sa lahat ng pwede kong makalimutan enrollment day pa??