Chapter Two

Kieran

I opened my eyes and feel the warmth radiating from the body lying on top of me. Vampires are notoriously cold creatures. Werewolves, on the other hand, are living hot boxes.

Eva fell asleep quickly after eating, and I couldn't bring myself to move her. She seemed far too comfy and I didn't want to break the cheesy grin on her face as she slept.

"Did it piss on you, or did you become it's bitch?" Vito waltzes into the living room and plants his ass at the end of the couch. His eyebrows frown at me. "You're on my fucking seat."

"Shut up, dickhead. She's asleep," I grit out, sending him a single glance. I feel Eva shift her body and she groans tiredly.

Vito rolls his eyes at me. I can see him side-eye her, trying to get a better look at her face.

"Not good speaking like that," Eva murmurs sleepily.

"Fuck me," Vito replies childishly.

I glare back at Vito and he just watches the small girl for a reaction. I feel my jaw tick from his attitude. She has been through a lot, and he has no empathy.

"Just be nice, Vito," I sneer at him and he shrugs me off.

I hear Eva yawn softly as she slowly gives the effort to sit up properly. She sits with her legs crisscrossed and shakes her head at Vito. "You're not a good friend."

"I don't want to be your friend," Vito replies to her angrily. I smack his shoulder and he gives me a bland look.

Eva crosses her arms and scoots closer to me on the couch.

"You are just a bitch. A dumb mutt," Vito eggs her on.

I try to comfort Eva by squeezing her arm, but it is too late. Her eyes begin to water and she hugs into my side. I can hear her heart pounding in her chest as she cries.

"Vito you are such a cunt," I mouth towards him, pissed.

"It's not my fault she's too sensitive," he continues. Vito grabs the container of biscuits Eva was eating and roughly throws it at my head. "I don't want a fucking pet, I want it gone."

Vito soon leaves the room and the guilt overwhelms me when Eva slumps closer to my body for safety.

"I am sorry, Eva. Vito has... problems," I wince out, feeling her warm tears on my neck.

Eva simply hums at me in response, mostly ignoring Vito. She lifts her head from my chest and wipes her pretty little hair from her pretty little face.

"If you want to swear at him, I will support you," I encourage her, rubbing my hand on her back soothingly. I earnt a small giggle from her and it made my dead heart feel like it only just started beating.

"Alpha is coming for me," Eva suddenly says and I stay quiet. Her face looks swollen and red like a tomato, and her eyes were damp from crying. "He is angry at me, very angry at me."

"Stay here. Vito and I can protect you," I smile at her softly.

"Vito will give me to him for free," Eva snorts, shaking her head at me.