Chapter 51 - Encroaching Despair

"Now then, how should we play this one out, hmmm?"

Yuri scratched his chin with a sinister smile on his face while surveying Dennis, Sora and Johan, who were eyeing him as one would eye a wild beast ready to pounce on them. Despite outnumbering him three-to-one, none of the former Academia agents felt very confident about their chances of success even if they were to jump at him all at once. Yuri's overflowing bloodlust and killing intent had basically rendered them immobile as they awaited the young prodigy's next move.

"One option is that I could take you all three at once." Yuri continued speaking to himself. "But then, this feast would end way too fast for my tastes, especially since I like savoring my meal before consuming it. Therefore—one-on-one is the best after all!"

With no warning whatsoever, Yuri dashed forward and struck Dennis in his chest, sending him flying backwards. Before anyone could react, Yuri grabbed Sora's shirt and tossed him, sending him crashing on a pillar in the back. Snapping out of it, Johan attempted to charge Yuri, only for the purple-haired youth to sidestep the attempted tackle and trip Johan's legs, sending him tumbling down. Immediately afterwards, Yuri pressed a button on his Duel Disk, causing bars to descend from the ceiling, leaving Johan alone with Yuri while Sora and Dennis were trapped in their own sections of the corridor.

"This is..." Sora's eyes darted around as he assessed the situation, turning to his Duel Disk next as he pressed a few buttons on it. "No response. Damn it, we're stuck here."

"You two stay there quietly for now." Yuri said to Dennis and Sora before turning to Johan. "I'll get to you shortly. And as for you, my little traitor, you'll have the privilege of being the first part of this three-course meal. You should feel honored."

"Honored...isn't the word I'd use to describe what I feel right now..." Johan chuckled nervously, but then his expression became serious. "But regardless of what I feel, I will fight. The world the Lancers envision, I want to see it with my own eyes. Therefore—I will defeat you and move forward alongside everyone else!"

"Oh, so we have another idealist here." Yuri sneered. "All the better for me I suppose. Your vaunted beliefs only make you fight harder, making my eventual victory all the more satisfying. Now, let's start digging into this exquisite banquet!"

[Duel!]

Both Duelists shouted as they activated their Duel Disks.

Yuri – LP: 4000

Johan – LP: 4000

"I'll take the first turn!" Johan announced. "I activate the Spell Card Fusion, using it to fuse Gem Beasts Cobalt Eagle and Amethyst Cat in my hand!"

As his two Monsters swirled inside a multi-colored vortex, Johan chanted.

"Dazzling radiance of the Gem Beasts! Meld together now and become a new life arising from the eternal spectrum! Fusion Summon! Appear now, Level 7! Gem Beast Diamond Stag (Light/Beast/Fusion/Effect/ATK: 2400/DEF: 1500/LV: 7)!"

A stag with white-colored fur and antlers made out of diamond that reflected the light from the corridor appeared on Johan's field.

"Diamond Stag's effect activates." Johan stated. "When this card is Fusion Summoned successfully, I can place a "Gem Beast" Monster from my Graveyard to my Spell/Trap Card Zone. I choose Cobalt Eagle. Then, I place a card face-down and end my turn."

"My turn!" Yuri announced. "Draw! Since you saw fit to Fusion Summon from the first turn, I guess I should also begin this Duel in a semi-serious mode. The renowned Gem Beasts deserve that much at least. First, I activate the Quick-Play Spell Card Predator Plast. Through its effect, I will reveal Predator Plants Roridula Wolf in my hand in order to place a Predator Counter on Diamond Stag, reducing its Level to 1 (Diamond Stag LV: 7→1). Then, I summon Predator Plants Roridula Wolf (Dark/Plant/Effect/ATK: 1500/DEF: 1400/LV: 4)!"