Chapter 1: The Art

Our university had a large and beautiful campus with buildings extended throughout the premises. Within every few steps you take lies a wooden bench, occupied by lively students chatting alongside their friends or classmates. Street lamps were conveniently placed by every corner, illuminating the scenery as the day nearly began to close.

The wintertime brought a slight breeze onto campus. As the bright sky begins to dim, a cool-toned blue replaces its position once more. I adore the cycle. I adjusted my chin upwards, lifting my head to observe the shifting sky. As the breeze grazed my skin, my mouth formed the slightest satisfied grin.

This time was perfect. What a wonderful time to begin school. The cool air of New York City and the lively campus aid my uncontrollable thoughts in heightening my excitement. Despite the dreaded subject of biology, everything seemed to be aligned with perfection this semester.

"Have you read any reviews for our professor?" Anitta inquired as she began to slow her steps in order to align with my pace.

"Honestly, I tried but I couldn't find anything. He doesn't have a page up yet on Rate My Professor, he must be new."

"A new teacher? Oh great, just what we needed for a class you and I both have absolutely zero experience in." She sarcastically chimed in reply.

I rolled my eyes at her typical pessimism and let out a small laugh in response.

"I'm sure we'll be fine. On the bright side, since he's new, maybe he's young and cute." I nudge her jokingly. "Plus, we have each other so at least we can handle the torture together."

Our small talk and playful banter continue as we make our way toward the Building of Arts for music class. This is my first time near the building. As an engineering major, I didn't really have any business here until now.

The building extended down a large field, with sleekly painted white walls and large glass windows. The automatic doors slid open as Anitta and I inched closer. For a second, I was in awe at how uniquely decorated the building's interior was; as expected of the Arts building. Colorful paintings and projects occupied the walls in an artistic pattern. It wasn't cluttered or messy-- it was perfect.

Finally, we arrived. The two of us shared brief, excited smiles as we stood beside the classroom door. I stepped forward and pushed the door open to enter the brightly-lit room. With only a few minutes left to spare before class begins, most of the students were present already. The music classes tend to hold a smaller student limit, so everyone was seated at a comfortable distance from one another.

I spotted two lone chairs near the back of the classroom and immediately aimed to reserve them for Anitta and me. I didn't give myself an opportunity to observe the people around me as I had far more pressing matters to attend to at that moment.

At last, we made it to day one of piano class. We both place our bags on the floor by our chairs and adjust our posture as we mock sophistication for our first day.

Once adjusted and comfortable, I finally decided to observe my surroundings. I slowly traced my gaze around the room, only occasionally pausing to take a look at each student. Everything seemed typical, not much out of the ordinary.

Students had their legs propped up on the chair in front of them. Others had their heads leaning against their arms in boredom. Some leaned completely against the wall prepared to knock out a few minutes into class. Yup, everything seemed pretty typical.

My eyes continued along their path as I took note of the faces and scenery around me. Eventually, my gaze faltered. Instinctively, I leaned forward in my seat to obtain a closer look.