A Not-so Creepy Music Box

Week 1- DUE Sunday 22/5/2022

Prompt: someone knocks on your door, but when you open it, there's no one there. Character: a musical prodigy whose favourite colour is black. Setting: a small town where everyone knows each other.

Assignment:

There was a knock on the door at 11 pm, but when I opened the door, there was no one. I looked around but I couldn't see anything, and right before I left the house, my foot bumped into something. It was a music box, one you'd notice in an antique shop. I didn't understand who or why they left something as valuable as that would cost a fortune lying on my doorstep. Mesmerised by its complexity, and the music produced, I took it inside my house.

I continued to practise my drums, which were coloured black. I still remember how long I waited for the special order or a black and gold drum set to arrive. After all, black is my middle name and my favourite colour. It was then when I was immersed in my practice, that I found the box moving from my counter to my bed on its own.

"What in the devil's name?" I shouted as my heart bounded so hard it almost fell on my drum sets.

I jumped in fear and awe, then I came closer to see what could happen. I touched the music box and pressed the button to open it again. However, nothing occurred, then the music played and the ballerina inside it moved alone. I dropped it in fear, and as though the box was offended it started to shed sprinkles on my wooden floor.

"What the–"

Whispers came out of the music box and started to slowly lift on their own. I landed on the wall as I tried to flee the room.

"Shoot! Shoot! Shootout!"

I opened my creaked front door and ran like hell.

"Help! I need help!" I shouted as I looked back and saw the ballerina emit to life and stare at me back from the window.

"How in the heavens?"

I knocked at my neighbour's doors, beady and out of breath, but I was determined to find anyone who can help.

Each one closed their doors as they heard my story, and some even repeated the same comment, "Go away you punk! Weird stoned guys these days."

"I swear I'm not on drugs!" I'd say back, but it was in vain as I saw disbelief shimmer in their crumbled and cringed faces.

I slumped back home in defeat, and I know that no one will believe me, then I need to figure it out myself.

I looked for my bat, at the back of my garage, held it tightly until my fingers felt numb and went inside the house.

"H-Hello?" I said as my voice echoed in the silent house.

"Lady Ballerina? A-are you there?"

The music started again, and the Ballerina appeared as she walked robotically to the hallway.

She looked exactly as she was in her small figure in the box, and remained admirably breathtaking.

She walked closer to me and I was unable to move, too caught by her beauty, I forgot that I was holding a bat in my hand for defence.

"Hello," she said cheerfully and made my heart flutter.

Her eyes wandered slowly at me, taking me in, and I did the same.

"Your music saved me," she prompted, "and for that I'm grateful," she curtsy.

"How—how are you here?"

"I was always here," she replied as her full juicy lips split into a wide smile and revealed her straight white teeth.

"What do you mean?"

"I was human, a Star Ballerina in 1987, but was my nemesis made a deal with the devil to gain success and trap me in an antique music box, and in return, he sold his soul," her curious eyes wandered around the house but I caught her subtly hiding her tears.

"What year is this?" She looked at me confused.

"It's 2019," I replied still not realizing I remained in a defence posture and holding my bat near my cheek.

"I owe you, a wish."

"A wish?"

"Yes," she answered.

"How so?"

"Well, I'm no ordinary ballerina, my kind gentleman. I've been transformed as a genie so the devil can pull me into that box."

"Does that mean I get three wishes?"

She boomed with light laughter, and it filled the air with peace.

"No silly, unfortunately, you get only one. Those are the rules," she said and raised her hand in surrender.

I thought of everything I wanted to wish for, I can use it to become the best international drummer in the world, or help save the planet, or wish for my true love!

"I-"

"Be careful of what you wish for because you only get one chance."

I stood there silently for a while at the front door, and that's when it hit me. I knew what I wanted to wish for as I looked at that mesmerizing Lasy Ballerina in front of me.

"I wish to set you free, Lady Ballerina."